CL 2014 R21: Blue Light RR

More
9 years 8 months ago #7640 by Brian Mc
CL 2014 R21: Blue Light RR was created by Brian Mc
Final round of the league, starting from the Blue Light, and returning afterwards for the end of league barbecue .

The course will be the same as last year, except in reverse. This means all left-hand turns (which are safer and easier to marshal), and a lot of descending - keep it safe, it's only a race.

Route: www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/504382662
That's Glencullen, following the course of the Pine Forest TT, along past Cruagh Forest to the viewing point, up over the featherbeds before descending into Glencree, and then turning left back toward Glencullen via the Devil's Elbow. Finish line will be decided on the night - either before or after the Devil's Elbow.

Sign-on is at the Blue Light until 18.50, which is located on Woodside Road/Barnaculla - behind Lamb Doyle's. Map: goo.gl/maps/Q83Tc

Don't forget it's getting dark earlier, so bring lights if you're cycling!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #7642 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic CL 2014 R21: Blue Light RR
Marshalls:
Margaret Donnelly
Mark Horan
Mark Lawton
Mark Mulcahy
Martyn Holmes
Michael Hanley
Monica Marconi
Neal Hudson
Niall Kieran John McElligot, Siobhán O'Connor
Nick Watson
Gavin Moutray
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Brian Mc.

More
9 years 8 months ago #7643 by Brian Mc
And do have a look at the barbecue thread! Salads wanted!

www.orwellwheelers.org/forum/8-miscellan...ight-bbq-all-welcome

More
9 years 7 months ago #7689 by Diarmuid Collins
Replied by Diarmuid Collins on topic CL 2014 R21: Blue Light RR
Is racing down Glencree a good idea? It's a very fast road with some dodgy bends that are very easy to over cook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc

More
9 years 7 months ago #7690 by Valdis Andersons
Replied by Valdis Andersons on topic CL 2014 R21: Blue Light RR
Did the route on Sunday and it's fine for the majority of it. It used to be in bits but it looked like most has been repaired. There is one small patch of gravel though and there is no escaping it and one rather tight right hander with lots of dirt and sand on it.

Also, by that time the groups would have split to bits anyway. Even if the fastmen survive Pine forest there is still the small matter of that nasty ramp before Cruagh and then the climb up to Featherbeds.

More
9 years 7 months ago #7691 by Dave Mc
Replied by Dave Mc on topic CL 2014 R21: Blue Light RR

Is racing down Glencree a good idea? It's a very fast road with some dodgy bends that are very easy to over cook.

That was pretty much my own thoughts when I saw the route, but there are so few marshals required for direction and junctions that we should be in a position to put a marshal on each of the dodgy bends to slow riders down.

More
9 years 7 months ago #7697 by Liam Rowsome
Replied by Liam Rowsome on topic CL 2014 R21: Blue Light RR
Me also.
Once I saw the route I felt more fear at the thought of going down Glencree at any sort of race pace than I did at the thought of trying to climb to the Featherbeds at some of our A1 climbers pace! And that's saying something.

Glad to hear there may be marshals on the dodgy sections.

More
9 years 7 months ago #7698 by Bryan Geary
Replied by Bryan Geary on topic CL 2014 R21: Blue Light RR
Thankfully we're all born with free will and we've free wheel and brakes :-) Hopefully we'll all be fine.

Does the race official start at the Blue Light ?

Where is the likeliest finishing line ?

Can we get a feel for the handicaps in advance !? Should there be an A1/A2 sub handicap given the first half is serious climbing (the Brians, Neal & Pat put a minute into us over 2 kms!)

More
9 years 7 months ago #7699 by Stephen Barry
Replied by Stephen Barry on topic CL 2014 R21: Blue Light RR
I went for a recce of the course yesterday evening - expect painful climbing from the get go - there are two tight fast bends immediately after the German graveyard where you'll need to keep an eye out if you are drilling it. The gravel section is about 2k along the descent from the graveyard. and its where the road narrows so watch out for oncoming traffic.

Bon chance everyone.

More
9 years 7 months ago #7700 by Liam Rowsome
Bryan,

Historically the handicaps given on the last day of the league have seemed fairly generous to me.
I've no issue with that though - It's just a good novelty to race on a different course profile than normal.
My main aim for the race is simply to try hang onto the Brians, Neal & Pat etc. (the list could go on..) for as long as possible. - It's good for us - puts hair on our chest! :-)

More
9 years 7 months ago #7701 by Brian Mc

My main aim for the race is simply to try hang onto the Brians, Neal & Pat etc. (the list could go on..) for as long as possible. - It's good for us - puts hair on our chest! :-)

My main aim for the night is to drink as much Guinness as possible while others are sliding down gravel-strewn cliff-faces. I reckon I can down at least seven pints between when Limit and Scratch are let off.

More
9 years 7 months ago #7702 by Neal Hudson
Replied by Neal Hudson on topic CL 2014 R21: Blue Light RR
Jaysus lads - all this flattery is great - keep it up!

I'm marshalling on Thursday though. Hopefully you all stay upright this year!

More
9 years 7 months ago #7703 by Bryan Geary
Replied by Bryan Geary on topic CL 2014 R21: Blue Light RR

Bryan,

Historically the handicaps given on the last day of the league have seemed fairly generous to me.
I've no issue with that though - It's just a good novelty to race on a different course profile than normal.

i love the reverse psychology Liam, are you Mourinho in disguise ?!

More
9 years 7 months ago #7704 by Liam Rowsome
@ Brian Mc - that's a noble goal in itself and it's comes as some relief to hear you'll be remaining at the Blue Light.

@ Neal, you'd better face it. You are now an A2 mountain goat and such a description generally strikes fear into us "normal" folks on a route like that ;-)

@ Bryan, no reverse psychology being employed. Those are just my thoughts. You'll be the dark horse after all that hill training in your legs for (and a very good performance at) the A3 champs.

Brian Mc has helped me see the light - my secondary aim is now to hang on las long as possible in the race. My main aim is now to hang on as long as possible at The Blue Light..

More
9 years 7 months ago #7707 by Brian Ahern
Replied by Brian Ahern on topic CL 2014 R21: Blue Light RR
@BrianMc I might join you for pints and we can discuss tactics for the upcoming National Crit champs. Pints are notorious for enhancing discussions on tactics. We might send you up the road early......see what happens...

More
9 years 7 months ago #7711 by Diarmuid Collins
Replied by Diarmuid Collins on topic CL 2014 R21: Blue Light RR
I'd expect the handicaps to be small for a downhill race.

• Gavin Moutray
9 years 7 months ago #7736 by Gavin Moutray
Replied by Gavin Moutray on topic CL 2014 R21: Blue Light RR
Apologies to all racers, organisers and marshals . I was at the blue Gardenia by mistake, even signed up to Marshall their climb! Enjoy the BBQ, Gavin.

Time to create page: 0.291 seconds