Orange Spins yesterday 02/11

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #8273 by Stephen Ryan
Orange Spins yesterday 02/11 was created by Stephen Ryan
I'm curious about some of the decisions taken by groups yesterday , and am interested in the reasons . There are no right or wrong answers just info.

Jules had planned a route www.strava.com/routes/862898 which took you down towards Roundwood before veering off towards Newtown , over a steep hill , down to tomriland , into Annamoe and back up through Roundwood. He described it to me as showcasing roads less well travelled.

Out of five groups that I think I can see with my new toy (labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#214636195,...ywyJi8wMDLzMDKB8yww= ), one did it. one did a variation via Ashford and three carried on straight to Laragh and up over Sally.

What is occupying Jules mind and mine is why so little interest in doing the advertised route. Is it related to the Route, being too easy / hard . is it related to people not knowing the roads, was the weather yesterday a factor, is there a preference to stick to tried and trusted? Would a simple North, South , East or West guidance be preferable at the Orange level ?

We're interested in your views - feel free to post here or mail This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

Thanks
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Stephen Ryan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jules De Meester

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #8276 by Michael Hanley
Replied by Michael Hanley on topic Orange Spins yesterday 02/11
Stephen,

I think it's important to focus on the key purpose of the training spin: to get people out and learning to ride as a group.

Routes will always vary on the day. Either the weather, lack of communication or change on the fly will alter the course of the spin. The only important thing is that the group stays together and no one is lost.

If spins are a few km shorter or longer, or don't take in a hill that was advertised, this isn't a big issue. Winter spins are there to encourage people to get out and ride together, they are not sportives. The distance has always been a guide rather than a target and frankly this talk of "KOHs", even if tongue in cheek, is a little worrying. Winter spins are for training and even tempo, there are plenty of sportives available in the summer months for people to drop their peers or overtake slower groups.

Groups are expected to have some level of autonomy. The freedom and sometimes complete randomness of cycling is what makes it fun to begin with.

More
9 years 4 months ago #8278 by Eugène SKIL
Replied by Eugène SKIL on topic Orange Spins yesterday 02/11
I had the route in my garmin but a prominent member of the group said we were going to Laragh. I didn't complain as I thought there'd be too many of us descending on Roundwood for coffee that I might have to wait longer than normal for a coffee which would be awful and I also remembered Jules saying that the routes were more like a guide.

More
9 years 4 months ago #8280 by Fergal O'Sullivan
Replied by Fergal O'Sullivan on topic Orange Spins yesterday 02/11
Stephen

I know that this topic was started for the Orange group and the change from route etc. I was down to be a leader for the White Beginner group yesterday and it was for a new new route - As the advertised route was not really suited for complete beginners we went on a different route. As Michael has said the main point is for people to get out on the bikes for training spins and the routes are there as guidelines or suggestions for people to follow.

More
9 years 4 months ago #8281 by Jules De Meester
Replied by Jules De Meester on topic Orange Spins yesterday 02/11
Personally I don't mind if people take a different route, it is up to the leaders to decide the routes. It is just a general direction. But if there is 3 groups doing the same (completely different) route, it seems to me there is more going on. That is all I was curious about. And if we know this, there maybe something I can fix in the schedule before we set off. - Just for reference; new members get an email with the link to the route when they sign-on. Maybe change the wording a bit.

All in all great feedback from all new riders going into Orange groups this year, also good work from old hands advising people to move to Red if they are pushing the pace.

If doing a different route in Orange is out biggest concern then we are in good shape.

Fergal - I had about 5 versions of the beginner white spin for yesterday. I was going back and forth between; no N11, not doubling back, going down the wall, making the route longer or shorter etc... I was sure you would make the right decision on the day. Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greg Farrell, Eugène SKIL

More
9 years 4 months ago #8282 by Colm Egan
Replied by Colm Egan on topic Orange Spins yesterday 02/11
My understanding of the sunday spins is that all colours/groups go the same route so that if someone is struggling to keep up with a particular group and is dropped ( or decides to drop) then he can join the next group along until we hit the last white group and noone is dropped from the final one. This may not be the case but that's what i thought it was.

More
9 years 4 months ago #8285 by Billy Parker
Replied by Billy Parker on topic Orange Spins yesterday 02/11
I was in the last Orange group out (diluted Miwadi). Given the strong desire for a coffee stop (and Roundwood being a bit too early) an extra few K to Laragh was proposed and then with such a fine day, a southerly wind and most likely the last opportunity for a spin over the Sally Gap this year, we headed back home via Glenmacnass and the Feather Beds. It was well worth the detour as the scenery was spectacular.

The advertised route was absolutely grand but exactly as Michael outlines above, circumstances prompted a few diversions.

More
9 years 4 months ago #8287 by Robert Tully
Replied by Robert Tully on topic Orange Spins yesterday 02/11
I was one of seven in the "Fizzy" Orange group, before departing a suggestion was made to change the route & head to Rathnew for a bit of cover from the wind ,no objections so we set off via Bray/Greystones/Kilcoole etc. Quick coffee stop in Rathnew & returned via Ashford / Roundwood . The group split into 2 at long hill with some opting for N11 vs Enniskerry.
The group worked well together ,all competent riders ,average pace was 25km ,good company & pleasant enjoyable day.
I don't think anybody would have had an issue with the original route,however I agree with Billy & Michael circumstances dictate on the day.

More
9 years 4 months ago #8310 by Alan Casey
Replied by Alan Casey on topic Orange Spins yesterday 02/11
I appreciate the time and effort putting into organising and planning the spins, but it was a great call to amend the route and go back via Glenmacnass & Sally Gap.

I'm of the opinion that as long as the weather and roads are fine, we should venture into the mountains more, and on Sunday it was feasible to do this.

I was in the first Orange group with Peter, Eugene, Ann, Brian, et al and it was a brilliant spin.

More
9 years 4 months ago #8323 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic Orange Spins yesterday 02/11
I was in the same fizzy orange group as Robert, which went via Greystones etc to Rathnew, then up the "easy" Devils Glen to Roundwood and back via the Long Hill. The main reason we did the route that way was to avoid the wind on the way out, and because from experience we reckoned the coffee stop in Roundwood would be unable for the crowds so wanted a stop somewhere else.

Both objectives were achieved. We had excellent shelter from the wind on the way out, followed by a strong tailwind on the trip back from Roundwood to the Long Hill. And we had a relaxed no-pressure coffee stop in Rathnew (which I would like to nominate for coffee stop of the year for their speedy service).

Personally I was looking for a flat no-hills route, but that didn't work out :-(

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.

Time to create page: 0.257 seconds