New Irish cycling magazine

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #8526 by Dave Mc
New Irish cycling magazine was created by Dave Mc
For anyone who hasn't heard already, our very own Declan Quigley is going to be heading up a new cycling magazine for the Irish market from January. Obviously I'm a little bit biased, but I can't think of a better man for the job, and hope he makes as much of a success of this as he has his television work.

Press release below:

Cycling Magazine Launched
New Irish Bike Magazine To Answer Growing Demand
Dublin, December 11th

Silver Cloud Media today launched Ireland's first new cycling magazine in over ten years with the announcement of Cycling Magazine, an all new publication for Irish bike riders.
Cycling Magazine will hit news stands in March, marking the end of a long drought for Irish cycling enthusiasts starved of a dedicated print publication for many years.

The new publication will be packed full of content from all facets of cycling, on and off road, including news and features, bike tests, technical reviews, coaching and nutrition guidance, star interviews, reports from leisure and competitive events and much, much more.

Cycling Magazine publisher Colm Burns believes that Cycling Magazine is a long overdue addition to the Irish magazine market. "This is an idea that's not before its time," said Silver Cloud Media CEO Burns. "Research indicates that there could be as many as 250,000 people riding bikes in Ireland on a regular basis and it's about time that they had a publication dedicated to their needs and interests.

"I'm confident it's a publication that will be equally well received by the buying public and the cycle industry alike when we go to print in March. We're planning a print run of 20,000 for issue one of what will be a full colour, glossy magazine packed full of content oriented to the Irish market."

Cycling Magazine editor Declan Quigley brings a wealth of experience of print journalism and an intimate knowledge of cycling in Ireland as a long time club cyclist in Dublin. The Eurosport TV cycling commentator is looking forward to delivering the first issue in the new year.
"Irish cyclists have been crying out for a magazine that serves their needs and reflects the exponential growth in bike activity from commuters and sport cyclists alike in recent years.
"We'll be covering every aspect of cycling with plenty of bikes on test and technical reports along with an entertaining variety of news and features throughout the magazine."
See the Cycling Magazine brochure here:-
cyclingmagazine.ie/wp/CyclingMagazinePromo/index.html
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Dave Mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc, Paraic Morrissey, Neal Hudson

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #8534 by Neal Hudson
Replied by Neal Hudson on topic New Irish cycling magazine
Good man Declan, looking forward to reading, best of luck with the venture

More
9 years 3 months ago #8561 by Declan Quigley
Replied by Declan Quigley on topic New Irish cycling magazine
Cheers lads.
Looking forward to it. It's going to be hectic and a lot of fun.
All suggestions for content welcome. Ten page feature reports on the club league and three-part 'Orwell at the Marmotte' features might've stretching it a bit, though!

More
9 years 3 months ago #8567 by Brian Ahern
Replied by Brian Ahern on topic New Irish cycling magazine

All suggestions for content welcome!

A few rules for you:
- there shall be no mention of Lance Armstrong, on any page, of any issue or in any context.

- letters to the editor from cyclists complaining about bad driving or silly pedestrians shall not be published.

- stills of helmet cam footage or links to footage are prohibited, unless they are being used in a positive light - eg. to show awesome sprint finishes.

- if you have a website there shall be no comments section under articles.

- the magazine needs to remember that cyclists are at least 90% more awesome than the rest of the general population and needs to illustrate the smugness and elitism of the average cyclist.

- the magazine shall endeavour to ridicule triathletes and indeed any other (lesser) sport at every possible opportunity.

- the magazine shall use headlines on articles that reflect the content therein and not use headlines that provoke controversy just for the Craic, although to begin with you can throw in a few just for the laugh to wind people up.

- coffee

- half price for Orwell subscriptions a must

Best of luck with the venture Declan. Will the first issue have a special feature on the Orwell hamper race?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley

More
9 years 3 months ago #8569 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic New Irish cycling magazine

A few rules for you:
- there shall be no mention of Lance Armstrong, on any page, of any issue or in any context.

What if they're doing a feature on Orwell's Rás legend?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, John Latham

More
9 years 2 months ago #8638 by Tony McDowell
Replied by Tony McDowell on topic New Irish cycling magazine
I bought the magazine over the weekend, the price is right and it is a good read. there is a huge gap in the market for the magazine about Irish Cycling which includes racing and leisure. Many will remember how popular the Irish Cycling review was during the 80s and 90s launching the career of David Walsh and giving Paul Kimmage his start. I wonder whatever became of them!!

More
9 years 2 months ago #8639 by Dick O'Brien
Replied by Dick O'Brien on topic New Irish cycling magazine

- the magazine shall endeavour to ridicule triathletes and indeed any other (lesser) sport at every possible opportunity

Rollerbladers. Especially rollerbladers.

No forum login? Mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Don't want to miss any forum posts? How to set up email notifications
Subscribe to the calendar: Hit "+" button at bottom of widget

More
9 years 2 months ago #8640 by Bryan Geary
Replied by Bryan Geary on topic New Irish cycling magazine
Hope Declan adds Orwell's very own cycling betting consultant to the back pages for the 2015 season :-)

Bookies made a fortune on the 2014 Orwell Champs winner with the favourite being outsmarted.

More
9 years 2 months ago #8641 by Declan Quigley
Cheers Tony,
Our magazine is a different one, actually. It'll be out at the end of March. It's an Irish publication produced for and by Irish cyclists and may or may not include a full preview and betting odds for the Irish Rollerblading Championships. ;-)

More
9 years 2 months ago #8642 by Tony McDowell
Looking forward to it. FYI I have a 3 foot high pile of cycling magazines from the 80s if you need anything for reference. I have a lot of them scanned onto my laptop

More
9 years 2 months ago #8643 by Declan Quigley
What a cool resource. I'd love to see them Tony. I'll DM you,
Declan.

More
9 years 2 months ago #8644 by Declan Quigley
Oops, no DM option on this forum, or is there? Can't find it.
Anyhow, drop me a line to cyclingeditorial<at>gmail<dot> com and I'll write back.
Cheers,
Declan.

More
9 years 2 months ago #8647 by Tony McDowell
Hi Declan,

I have sent you an E mail

Thanks
Tony

Time to create page: 0.286 seconds