PBP 2015

More
8 years 7 months ago #12032 by Brian Mc
PBP 2015 was created by Brian Mc
If you hadn't realised , two of the club are heading over to France for Paris-Brest-Paris 2015 next week.

Dave Mc is a veteran of the event at this point, but this year he'll be joined by Danny Moriarty, and the two of them face an intimidating challenge - 1,200km in under 90 hours!

If that doesn't sound too hard, have a read of this account from 2011: www.audaxireland.org/the-saddlebag/pbp-2...view-from-the-front/

You also track the riders as they pass through checkpoints from next Sunday:
Dave: suivi.paris-brest-paris.org/A075.html
Danny: suivi.paris-brest-paris.org/L093.html

I hope you'll join me in wishing them both the very best of luck! You might see Dave tonight when he's running the hill climb (while most other competitors are already resting in France ahead of the event), but you can post here and they'll both see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eugène SKIL, Tom Crotty

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #12033 by Eugène SKIL
Replied by Eugène SKIL on topic PBP 2015
ya the very best of luck lads! what a challenge

More
8 years 7 months ago #12038 by John Anslow
Replied by John Anslow on topic PBP 2015
Best of luck to both of you.
Allez!

More
8 years 7 months ago #12041 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic PBP 2015
It's a cliché I know, but it's true: the mere thought of this makes me have to lie down for a rest. Congratulations are due for even qualifying to start it, never mind actually riding it.

So good luck to Dave & Danny, keep her lit! This is the stuff of legends!

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.

More
8 years 7 months ago #12043 by Louise Keane
Replied by Louise Keane on topic PBP 2015
Best of luck guys!

Will be tracking with interest...but I don't think I could ever be convinced to try this one - that's for a whole special breed of toughness (and madness!).

More
8 years 7 months ago #12064 by Dave Murnane
Replied by Dave Murnane on topic PBP 2015
Best wishes to both Dave and Danny.

Danny injured his back, and has been off work, and on medication. There's never a good time for something like that, but it is particularly unfortunate before an event that only takes place every four years. In preparation, Danny achieved the Randonneur Round The Year award by doing an Audax every month for the past year. Latest news I have heard is that he is planning to travel anyway and see whether he is able to give it a go. Danny, whatever you decide, I wish you the best in a difficult situation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #12067 by Shane Phelan
Replied by Shane Phelan on topic PBP 2015

Best wishes to both Dave and Danny.

Danny injured his back, and has been off work, and on medication. There's never a good time for something like that, but it is particularly unfortunate before an event that only takes place every four years. In preparation, Danny achieved the Randonneur Round The Year award by doing an Audax every month for the past year. Latest news I have heard is that he is planning to travel anyway and see whether he is able to give it a go. Danny, whatever you decide, I wish you the best in a difficult situation.

Ah crap. Hope you make it Danny.

More
8 years 7 months ago #12070 by Danny Moriarty
Replied by Danny Moriarty on topic PBP 2015
Hey All - thanks for the support - really means a lot - Eileen's poster on Wednesday was both a touch of class and inspiration and coupled with a order from 'er indoors', I decided a DNF Is better than a DNS !

Thus I am about to board plane - having packed gear this morning and a cryotherapy session
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc, Eileen Byrne, Greg Farrell, Eugène SKIL, Darragh Connolly, Barry Mooney

• Dave Carroll
8 years 7 months ago #12074 by Dave Carroll
Replied by Dave Carroll on topic PBP 2015
Best of luck to both Dave and Danny!

More
8 years 7 months ago #12084 by Eileen Byrne
Replied by Eileen Byrne on topic PBP 2015
Bon courage to you both.

• Pat O'Brien
8 years 7 months ago #12097 by Pat O'Brien
Replied by Pat O'Brien on topic PBP 2015
Sounds like a truely character-building adventure. You guys have got true-grit to take this on. Best of luck and keep us posted along the way.

More
8 years 7 months ago #12098 by Diarmuid Donnelly
Replied by Diarmuid Donnelly on topic PBP 2015
Bon voyage guys. A truly epic undertaking!

More
8 years 7 months ago #12099 by Dave Mc
Replied by Dave Mc on topic PBP 2015
Thanks everyone for all of the messages. We're all packed up and ready to roll, just going to cycle over to the start shortly to get lunch and then line up in our start pens.

Weather is fairly ideal, partly cloudy, partly sunny, around 20 degrees and not much wind, so if it can stay like that we'll all be very happy.

Everyone here is on good form, all starting to get excited now, and though Danny is clearly suffering a bit he's all fired up and is going to just work away at it 1 kilometre at a time.

My phone will be switched off for the duration so I won't be updating as I go, but we can be tracked all the way round through the links at the top.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc, Kieran Doohan, Valdis Andersons, Greg Farrell

More
8 years 7 months ago #12107 by Jonathan O'Reilly
Replied by Jonathan O'Reilly on topic PBP 2015
Hope you're both underway and going well. Best of luck, keep wrestling the gorilla!

More
8 years 7 months ago #12110 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic PBP 2015
Dave Mc is zipping along nicely, having just completed 450km a short while ago. 23 km/h for the first 220km.

Danny is taking it at his own pace, at 19.7 km/h for the same distance - great to see him passing through the checkpoints, and hopefully his form will hold!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eileen Byrne, Jamie Busher, Eugène SKIL, Barry Mooney

More
8 years 7 months ago #12111 by Brian Mc
btw, many people will know Helen Kerrane from St Tiernan's, who is also doing PBP. Her frame number is K134: suivi.paris-brest-paris.org/index.php?plaque=K134
The following user(s) said Thank You: Barry Mooney

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #12121 by Eileen Byrne
Replied by Eileen Byrne on topic PBP 2015
An update from Aideen on Dave's progress:

All is going well, with an expected ETA of 2 a.m.

Unfortunately I don't have a contract for Danny re his progress but have every hope it is going well for him.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Eileen Byrne.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc

More
8 years 7 months ago #12122 by Brian Mc
Two different updates for each of our lads:

From Aideen Collard (Dave's wife):

As there's a glitch with the PBP website, a quick update to let you know that Dave Mc is probably between 200-300km from finishing PBP with an ETA of 2am - he then plans to head home on trains & ferries via Calais to be back on time for end of Club League celebrations in the Golden Ball on Thurs eve and recount his adventures to anyone who is interested!

And from a friend of Danny's:

Danny pulled out because of his back.

Commiserations to Danny, but showed he was a determined soldier for even getting to the start line. Hopefully he'll make it home to us safely and give PBP another try soon!

And continued good luck to Dave!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eileen Byrne

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #12123 by Brian Mc

An update...

Snap! :D
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Brian Mc.

More
8 years 7 months ago #12124 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic PBP 2015
So is Dave planning to ride the race on Thursday night?? :-)

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.

Time to create page: 0.328 seconds