Introduction to Racing and Club League Sat Sept 19

More
8 years 6 months ago #12335 by Garret Connolly
Hi all

We've decided to do the much loved Introduction to Racing day again Saturday September 19th at 930-1130am in Corkagh Park.

Last September Dick O'Brien and Stephen Ryan ran the highly successful 1st edition of these fun training days followed again in early Spring. Over 40-50 people of on both days enjoyed learning a trick or 2 in a safe environment on the Corkagh Park track.

This Sept 19th, the session will be run by Ras 2015 legend and warrior Dick O'Brien, one of the best Time Trialists in the Club Valdis Andersons, Ireland's 3rd best women's racing star of the moment Ann Horan, the Club Women's Road Race Champion Helen Horan, Club League and A4 veteran Diarmuid Donnelly, the most feared cyclist in 2015 A4 and scratch racing Ken 'the Kenibal' O'Neill, and me Garret Connolly(better known for the odd hill or 2...). I was fortunate enough to attend Dick's sessions and caught the bug and haven't looked back since..

These sessions are aimed at everyone from complete racing beginners up to those of you who who've tried it a few times and would like to aim into 2016 with newfound confidence. A huge amount of those who attended last September and March ended up competed in the Club League, a lot of whom got promoted to Semi Limit and above, with a good chunk of them getting in the mix in open A4 racing and even some of them getting promoted to A3(Paul Perry and Freddie Stevens to name just 2).

This a 2 hour session that is supposed to fun and friendly for both guys and especially the huge numbers of excellent lady cyclist coming through from leisure and Ann's recent ladies beginner spins.
www.velovixen.com/blog/startracing/

We hope the day will give you a good idea of what its like to race in the club league and beyond and we'll do some drills that will include among others:
-Riding at a higher speed in a group safely
-Cornering at higher speed
-Up and overs in a race scenario
-Attacking and Chasing down attacks and overall race tactics
-Time Trialing
-Elimination racing
-Corkagh Park racing

My history of racing is mostly semi limit club league with a few A4 open races but between Dick, Valdis, Ann, Helen, Diarmuid and the Kenibal we have probably more experience combined from the 2015 season than any other club in the history of Irish cycling so they will be more than capable of answering any questions and dishing out out advice to all budding club league racers.

This session is open to all Orwell members(both leisure and racing) with Cycling Ireland membership and it would be great to see a big turnout of lads and ladies.

We will have a tea/coffee meet/greet questions session in the Green Isle Hotel after at 12pm.

Corkagh Park
www.google.ie/maps/place/Corkagh+Park/@5...0:0xecc6b80e36d5eb89

Green Isle Hotel
www.google.ie/maps/place/Green+Isle+Hote...x0:0x453fdc5ad691ff2

I'll be away for the next 10 days at the Raid Pyrenees but if you have any questions about the session leave them on the forum and one of the leaders on the day will get back to you.

Looking forward to seeing many new faces and some older ones out there on Intro session

Garret

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #12336 by Louise Keane
Replied by Louise Keane on topic Introduction to Racing and Club League Sat Sept 19
The same weekend as the Cyclocross and the weekend I am away in September:( Missing out on both things I would love to try out - damn those friends and their wedding!

Fair play for organising Gar. If by any chance you get enough interest and decide to do another weekend let me know and I'll be there:)

More
8 years 6 months ago #12497 by Garret Connolly
Replied by Garret Connolly on topic Introduction to Racing and Club League Sat Sept 19
Hi all
Remember next Saturday all Ireland final eve(up the dubs) 930am
www.orwellwheelers.org/forum/8-miscellan...b-league-sat-sept-19
Lead by Horan sisters, dick ob, Valdis, diarmo, myself and the Kenibal
Will be good fun promise! All welcome
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darragh Connolly

More
8 years 6 months ago #12526 by Garret Connolly
Replied by Garret Connolly on topic Introduction to Racing and Club League Sat Sept 19
A gentle reminder that this is on this Saturday...full details in the thread above and we have some of Orwell's best racing and sportif riders there to help you out and teach you a thing or 2...it'll be great craic and the weather is looking damn good...
I was in your position last year with zero racing experience and mainly sportifs on my calender...speaking from experience after starting at Dick's autumn session last year I promise you you'll love it.
Garret
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darragh Connolly

More
8 years 6 months ago #12527 by Garret Connolly
ps this is for both men and women...Orwell has the biggest women membership in the country and following on from Ann's unbelievably successful Beginner Women's Group we look set to have a successful future on both sportif and racing fronts...Come one come all
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darragh Connolly, Aoife Ross

More
8 years 6 months ago #12544 by Ann Horan
Another brilliant session Dick. Thanks to all the leaders who gave up their morning to come out and help.
Lovely to see some of our beginner women out there mastering the skill of cornering at speed!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dick O'Brien

More
8 years 6 months ago #12545 by Shane Phelan
Replied by Shane Phelan on topic Introduction to Racing and Club League Sat Sept 19
A great morning. Thanks to all involved for organising

More
8 years 6 months ago #12547 by John Anslow
Replied by John Anslow on topic Introduction to Racing and Club League Sat Sept 19
Thanks to all the racers for coming out this morning, great session, though i think my lungs are still out there somewhere

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds