Patrick O'Brien RIP

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #12700 by Brian Mc
Patrick O'Brien RIP was created by Brian Mc
It deeply saddens us to report the sudden passing of our beautiful friend and clubmate, Patrick O'Brien, yesterday afternoon.

Pat was not just a talent on the bike, but an ever-giving and constantly positive presence off it. Winner of the 2014 Orwell League, a man of the Rás and a manager of the Rás, he was always ready to help out and assist, to give his time, knowledge and encouragement to others, and he will be very much missed by all of us.

Our condolences to his friends and family at this difficult time, particularly his fiancé Eileen. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

The death has occurred of Patrick O'BRIEN
12 Slaney View Park, Enniscorthy, Wexford / Crumlin, Dublin

(Suddenly) Beloved son of Paddy and Liz, fiancee of Eileen and brother of Barry, Carol, Lisa and Miriam. Sadly missed by his heartbroken family, extended family, relatives and friends. May he rest in peace. Reposing at 12 Slaney View Park with Removal on Wednesday at 6.30 to St. Senan's Parish Church, Enniscorthy. Funeral Mass on Thursday at 12 noon. Burial afterwards in St. Mary's Cemetery.

Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Brian Mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, Eddie Lynch, Aidan Collins, Denis Gleeson, Aidan Hammond, Paraic Morrissey, BarryR, Fergal O'Sullivan, Diarmuid Collins, Gavin Dodd, Neal Hudson, Nicole Bork, Diarmuid Donnelly, Paul Brosnan, Kieran Doohan, Louise Keane, Mark Mulcahy, Ronan Foley, Ivan O'Brien, Julian Moore, Dan Coulcher, Derek Handley, Fergal Quinn, Valdis Andersons, Eamonn Eaton, Danny Moriarty, Michael Hanley, Daragh Boyd, Bryan Geary, Ken O'Neill, Ann Horan, Aideen Keenan, John Anslow, Stephen Downey, Paul Walsh, Angela Halpin, Donal Duffy, Kevin Connaire, Rob Monaghan, Shane Phelan, Stephen Barry, Stephen O'Shea, Eugène SKIL and 10 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #12701 by Greg Farrell
Replied by Greg Farrell on topic Patrick O'Brien RIP
That is a genuine tragedy.

More
8 years 6 months ago #12702 by Siobhan O'Connor
Replied by Siobhan O'Connor on topic Patrick O'Brien RIP
Very sad news, RIP

More
8 years 6 months ago #12704 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic Patrick O'Brien RIP
At the start of the Rás in Dunboyne last May.

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daragh Boyd, Eugène SKIL

More
8 years 6 months ago #12705 by Fintan
Replied by Fintan on topic Patrick O'Brien RIP
Sad to hear of Patrick's death. I only cycled with him a few times but a mind of information on racing technique. My condolences to his family and friends,
Fintan.

• Louise Daly
8 years 6 months ago #12706 by Louise Daly
Replied by Louise Daly on topic Patrick O'Brien RIP
Incredibly sad, may he rest in peace. Thinking of his family and friends.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #12707 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic Patrick O'Brien RIP
Thanks to Mike Hanley: rip.ie/showdn.php?dn=267911/PatrickO_BRIEN/Crumlin/Dublin

The death has occurred of Patrick O'BRIEN
12 Slaney View Park, Enniscorthy, Wexford / Crumlin, Dublin

(Suddenly) Beloved son of Paddy and Liz, fiancee of Eileen and brother of Barry, Carol, Lisa and Miriam. Sadly missed by his heartbroken family, extended family, relatives and friends. May he rest in peace. Reposing at 12 Slaney View Park with Removal on Wednesday at 6.30 to St. Senan's Parish Church, Enniscorthy. Funeral Mass on Thursday at 12 noon. Burial afterwards in St. Mary's Cemetery.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ronan Gill, Valdis Andersons

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #12710 by Brian Mc
Slaney CC posted a lovely message this morning:

Slaney CC wish to send our sincere sympathy to the family of Pat O’Brien and especially his fiancé Eileen on the terrible news of his sudden and premature death.
Although riding in the colours of his adopted club Orwell Wheelers Pat was an Enniscorthy man through and through and regularity supported our Eddie Tobin RR and Mount Leinster challenge and was also often on our Saturday spins. It was always a pleasure to have Pat ride along side you and his infectious good humour and positivity shone through. A man of the Rás and a man who will missed by all his friends, clubmates, the wider cycling community but most of all by his family. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

www.facebook.com/SCC.IRL/photos/a.237141...997180077834/?type=3

As did Dublin Fire Brigade CC: www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbi...4&id=163592350343230

It is with great sadness I wish to inform you of the passing of Patrick O Brien. Patrick worked for camp in the control room and came on board with us in our first Cycle, the Mizan to Malin. He was a real cycling enthusiast and a gifted climber who went on to great success riding for Orwell Wheelers. Patrick was always a pleasure to cycle with and a huge asset to us on the Mizan to Malin. Our thoughts and prayers are with his fiancee Eileen and his Family in Eniscorthy. May he rest in Peace.

Attachments:

More
8 years 6 months ago #12711 by Brian Mc
Condolences also from representatives of Marmot Tours

It was a privilege to spend the week with him on the Raid Pyrenean. Mine and Gary's thoughts are with you all. RIP.

I can't believe it. Please pass on our condolences to all Pat's family and friends. You are all in our thoughts.

There are some things in life that just don't make sense and this is definitely one of them. I'm going for a run this afternoon, I'll make sure to wear my Orwell Wheelers socks.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #12713 by Brian Mc
Brian Hayden from St Tiernan's CC was also in touch:

Send on my condolences for the loss of your club member and friend. Please let all in Orwell know that myself and the STCC club are thinking of you all.

Likewise Ger Campbell of Drogheda Wheelers:

Sincere sympathies on your loss from myself and all Drogheda Wheelers

Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Brian Mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gavin Dodd

More
8 years 6 months ago #12714 by Brian Mc
And there's a flood of message on Facebook from club members and friends, which share the same themes of shock and loss, but always paint Pat as a friendly, warm, giving, genuine gentleman.

www.facebook.com/orwellwheelers/posts/1039775736055563
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, Gavin Dodd, Siobhan O'Connor, Daragh Boyd

More
8 years 6 months ago #12715 by Paraic Morrissey
Replied by Paraic Morrissey on topic Patrick O'Brien RIP
Pat was a beautiful , warm , friendly guy . It's hard to believe that he's been taken from us like this .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eugène SKIL

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #12716 by Ann Horan
Replied by Ann Horan on topic Patrick O'Brien RIP
I remember meeting Pat for the first time at one of my first races. Feeling intimidated by everyone around me and not having a clue what I was supposed to be at I couldn't believe this A1 racer was bothering to be so nice to me. Now I know it was just Pat being Pat!
When I was looking for people to help with the women beginners this summer I knew Pat would have the perfect personality for the job and would be far too nice to say no. I asked him to help out for one session but he insisted on doing all the Monday sessions from Joe's. Lots of the beginners have really nice memories of him and even though they only met him a few times could straight away see what a lovely person he was.

I'd like to share what they said

'He helped us on the Monday with the race training for the few of us who wanted to go. Such a lovely guy. So nice and really encouraging. I can't believe it.'

'A thorough gentleman, he was on my very 1st spin and stopped to help me or should I say stopped to fix my very first flat tyre for me and took the time to explain the whole process. I was terribly weak on hills back then and everyone was flying up ahead of me from Kilternan to Glencullen. I was way behind the group and he stayed with me to encourage me up the hill. I remember asking him if he had a rope to tie me on to the back to his bike! I'm so sad to hear about Pat.'

'Rip Pat. He was so patient and kind with us. So sorry to hear, a real tragedy'

'That is really shocking & so sad to hear.He seemed like a really kind person & his enthusiasm for cycling was infectious.'

'This is terribly sad news, what a lovely guy, didn't even know me and stayed with me on my first spin out on the Tuesday hills to get me home safely. Really tragic.'

' Pat was one of the first people in the club that I spoke to. We cycled back towards Milltown together after one of the Monday spins and I was struck by how friendly and nice he was.'

'A true gent, I had the pleasure to ride back with Pat after one spin and he was super encouraging and kind. He left such a great and positive impression of what the club was about at such an early and uncertain stage for me'
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Ann Horan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denis Gleeson, Brian Mc, Fergal Quinn, Daragh Boyd, Eugène SKIL, Jude Farrell, Charlotte Stevens

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #12717 by Brian Mc
There is the possibility of a guard of honour taking place at the removal and/or funeral. With that in mind, could any club members attending please bring a long-sleeved jersey of the current design with them.

It will depend on numbers and the family's wishes, but I wanted to warn anyone who may be going straight from work tomorrow, and will need to bring the kit in the morning.

As always, please spread the word.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denis Gleeson, BarryR, Daragh Boyd, Stephen O'Shea, Eugène SKIL

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #12718 by Nicole Bork
Replied by Nicole Bork on topic Patrick O'Brien RIP
I still donno what to say. It's all so tragic. I'll definitely go to Pat's removal tomorrow and will drive there straight from work from Churchtown or there abouts. I'll also go back the same night. If there's anyone needing a lift let me know!
Nic

Best thing if u want a lift is to text or call 0870573975 as I'll be in work during the day.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Nicole Bork. Reason: forgot to mention phone number

More
8 years 6 months ago #12719 by Brian Mc

There is the possibility of a guard of honour taking place at the removal and/or funeral. With that in mind, could any club members attending please bring a long-sleeved jersey of the current design with them.

We've confirmed that the family are more than happy to have a guard of honour. If you are heading to the removal on Wednesday, we will meet about 15mins beforehand (6.15pm) outside the church to organise.

For Thursday, please sit near the back of the church, and we will duck out near the end of the ceremony to form the guard outside.

Stephen Ryan is hoping to get some spare long sleeve jerseys down for anyone who might not have one. If you have a spare, please bring it along.

More
8 years 6 months ago #12720 by Declan Quigley
Replied by Declan Quigley on topic Patrick O'Brien RIP
So sad, so wrong. It's difficult to take in. Pat, the most generous soul in the club... Strong, gentle, talented, kind.

It'll be a tough trip to Wexford on Thursday morning. If anyone needs a lift there are a couple of spots available heading out of Dublin. Call or text:
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

More
8 years 6 months ago #12721 by Stephen Ryan
Replied by Stephen Ryan on topic Patrick O'Brien RIP

We've confirmed that the family are more than happy to have a guard of honour. If you are heading to the removal on Wednesday, we will meet about 15mins beforehand (6.15pm) outside the church to organise.

For Thursday, please sit near the back of the church, and we will duck out near the end of the ceremony to form the guard outside.

Stephen Ryan is hoping to get some spare long sleeve jerseys down for anyone who might not have one. If you have a spare, please bring it along.

John Blennerhassett will be picking them up today and bringing them down in time for the removal this evening
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc

More
8 years 6 months ago #12722 by Dave Murnane
Replied by Dave Murnane on topic Patrick O'Brien RIP
I will be driving down from Central Park Leopardstown area around 4pm today. Please call if you would like a lift.
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #12724 by Daragh Boyd
Replied by Daragh Boyd on topic Patrick O'Brien RIP
I'm heading down on Thursday for Pat's funeral so I've room for 2 people also. Leaving from Dublin 4 and 6 areas. Email me on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Daragh Boyd.

Time to create page: 0.435 seconds