Group Spin Ettiquet

More
8 years 2 months ago #14011 by Brian Carolan
Group Spin Ettiquet was created by Brian Carolan
The clue is the name "Group Spin" so on todays organge group (coffee organge) we had a large groupand on the regroup at Crooksling, there was consensus that we split into a 2 . The first stronger 12 would go ahead, while the remaining 8 or thereabouts would hang back and stay together.

Well, that didnt last long, within a minute a call went from the front lets catch them, and they took off a furious rate. Meanwhile there were two at the back ( yours truly and Dave Hendron) who were left for dead. We shouted to alert the breaways but to no avail.

Whats disappointing here isthat that there were very experienced Orwell riders who chose to ignore the calls and hadnt the manners to either look back or wait to regroup at the top of the climb after the Blue Gardenia. (you know who you are)

Lets remind everybody that we are still in January, theres plenty of time for racing later in the Spring, just sayin.

Despite that we had a great spin, sans group
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greg Farrell, Donal O'Connor, Lorcan Lynch, Conor Dowler

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #14014 by Paraic Morrissey
Replied by Paraic Morrissey on topic Group Spin Ettiquet
Brian , Dave ,
I'm one of the guilty parties here . Apologies. We'll control it better next time .
One further point . Winter mudguards are a good idea . I looked like I had been in a 'cross race when I got home , and was much mocked for my mankieness on the road . You know what a sensitive soul I am !!!
If you know it's going to be wet , and in winter it frequently is , put some clip ons on your bike.
Paraic.

More
8 years 2 months ago #14027 by Gerry Kieran
Replied by Gerry Kieran on topic Group Spin Ettiquet
Well done Brian,
Not only yourself and Dave! There were two others including myself who were further back didn't see the group again from halfway up the Embankment.

More
8 years 2 months ago #14028 by Gerry Kieran
Replied by Gerry Kieran on topic Group Spin Ettiquet
And don't get me going on mudguards, Paraic!

• Greg O'Donnell
8 years 2 months ago #14029 by Greg O'Donnell
Replied by Greg O'Donnell on topic Group Spin Ettiquet
First off, I wasn't there so coming from this from a more general point.

Was the group, prior to the split. pushing into Red pace as was it that some just wanted to ease off a bit?

More
8 years 2 months ago #14030 by Colm Egan
Replied by Colm Egan on topic Group Spin Ettiquet
Brian

You have made a very good point there and it has been a recurring problem with sunday spins.
My own opinion is : If a cyclist is consistently having to slow down or wait for long periods at the top of hills for the rest of the group then they are in the wrong group! Move up a colour the next week and see how you get on - it will both improve your cycling and also make the spin more enjoyable for you and everyone else. if that person finds it too much for them they can always move back down and stick with the group pace in future.

As for mudguards... if they are not full length mudguards then they are useless in a group spin and the person behind you gets covered! anyone with half length mudguards or no mudguards should always stay at the back of the peleton in a group spin on a rainy/wet day in my humble opinion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kathryn Keogh, Eugène SKIL, Lorcan Lynch, Leonard Kaye

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds