Winter spins Red and Orange groups

More
7 years 4 months ago #20348 by Mervyn Bent
Winter spins Red and Orange groups was created by Mervyn Bent
Being out with both the Red and Orange spins on different weekends I have noticed that the red group is getting very big and fast, the speed is great but I am wondering if there is an opening for a second Red group going slightly slower maybe 28/29 kph rather than 30/32 kph. Previously there was a Red racing spin and a Red sportive spin covering different routes.
This second red group would could also take faster orange riders and keep the speed closer to the quoted average for the orange groups. There is no training spins next weekend because of the weekend away so ~I thought I would open this up for discussion in the break. This is only an suggestion just wondering what others think.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Donal O'Connor, Adam Reynolds, Nick Appleby, Brian Morrissey

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #20350 by Gary Somers
Replied by Gary Somers on topic Winter spins Red and Orange groups
I am also in favour of this suggestion. Having been out with the Red group yesterday I found the speed asphyxiating! Maybe that's just me but if a second red group opened up I'd happily sign up. It felt like a race yesterday. That's just my opinion thrown in for good measure. It's a fine line between 28/29/and 30km/h but certainly if it was more tightly controlled would make a difference. I'm supportive of your suggestion Mervyn so let's see how it goes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Donal O'Connor

More
7 years 4 months ago #20360 by Garret Connolly
Replied by Garret Connolly on topic Winter spins Red and Orange groups
Think the reason most people won't go up to red from orange is:
-speed-getting dropped 50km from home
-no coffee stop. Some people hate stopping for coffee which is understandable but you would have to be blind not to realise that large amounts of the club consider the social side of stopping for coffee a must for a Sunday spin.
-Think there is plenty of space for 2nd slower red pace but it will be up to the reds that turn up on each Sunday to split into fast and slow with volunteer leaders. Much the same as the oranges split these days between coffee and no coffee
Just my 2 cents....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Donal O'Connor, Gary Somers

More
7 years 4 months ago #20363 by Dick O'Brien
Replied by Dick O'Brien on topic Winter spins Red and Orange groups
I was out with the Red Spin yesterday. The problem was more ill-discpline and lack of communication. There were several points where the pace was being pushed way too hard up the drags and the message wasn't getting up that people were being dropped. I did a good bit of shouting myself, but more people need to start making these calls and passing the message up to the riders on the front.

Drilling it on the climbs doesn't do the group any good since you eventually have to slow down/stop to let the dropped riders get back on.

If you see anyone getting dropped make the calls to steady to the pace and pass it up the line.

No forum login? Mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Don't want to miss any forum posts? How to set up email notifications
Subscribe to the calendar: Hit "+" button at bottom of widget
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daragh Boyd, Donal O'Connor, Freddie Stevens, Gary Somers

More
7 years 4 months ago #20364 by Donal O'Connor
Replied by Donal O'Connor on topic Winter spins Red and Orange groups
Mervyn,
Good idea. I think there would be a market for that.
Some people( like me) want to progress to red pace but the transition to the higher pace for 100km without a break is not always smooth. One option is to tough it out and hopefully get dropped a little closer to home each week.
An other might be to consider a coffee stop red group( that might be blasphemy though).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nick Appleby

More
7 years 4 months ago #20368 by Freddie Stevens
Replied by Freddie Stevens on topic Winter spins Red and Orange groups
The problem for me is, and it is true of all Orwell spins no matter the colour is inconsistent pace i.e. Hard on hills, easy on flats. For me this time of year on the Sunday spin should be mainly z2, last week red was mainly z1/z3. Is there anyone who is interested in doing a controlled pace? I might try lead a small group of anyone interested setting off just after the red group, could be a good intro to the red group for anyone moving up?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Brosnan, Daragh Boyd, Donal O'Connor

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #20370 by Gary Somers
Yes I'm interested in this. I found the pace a bit erratic last Sunday in the red group, more like a race really. Fast, very fast then steady. I suggest that if at all possible Freddie you turn up with the red group as posted in the Winter spins topic and then ask members on the morning if they'd like to join you. I'm in! And thanks for the excellent suggestion.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Gary Somers.

More
7 years 4 months ago #20371 by Gary Somers
I look forward to seeing you in this newly formed group Donal!

More
7 years 4 months ago #20372 by Donal O'Connor
Replied by Donal O'Connor on topic Winter spins Red and Orange groups

I look forward to seeing you in this newly formed group Donal!

I might need a secret Saturday group to warm up for Sundays.

More
7 years 4 months ago #20375 by Paul Brosnan
Replied by Paul Brosnan on topic Winter spins Red and Orange groups
It's as if people have forgotten the rules for a club spin...or have never bothered to read them!
Here they are ...

www.orwellwheelers.org/sunday-spins/spin-etiquette

If people want to set Strava records...they should do it on their own time ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dick O'Brien, Daragh Boyd, Donal O'Connor, Gary Somers

More
7 years 4 months ago #20380 by Maeve Quigley
Replied by Maeve Quigley on topic Winter spins Red and Orange groups
Couldn't agree more. Well said

More
7 years 4 months ago #20540 by Bryan Geary
Replied by Bryan Geary on topic Winter spins Red and Orange groups
I read this with interest and humour ! it happens in every club I'd say?

I think it might be best if the more experienced riders of a Sunday get involved to quell the bloodthirsty masses from killing themselves too early in the season particularly in cold weather? Some are fitter and some get fitter quicker than others, particularly the racing cyclists so it's always tougher for the non racing riders pitted in a similar group. Maybe it's at that point when you've different standards you take a look at what group is most relevant for you the following week. Maybe someone experienced should point it out when dispatching a group based on what they've seen in the previous week's spin?

I would have always thought the winter spin was meant to be taxing but not meant to be get to the point where one needs to sleep for the rest of a Sunday.

I've been in a few clubs from youth to senior ranks and things didn't change much in any club. there was always an element of showing off on hills and in the final few kilometres of a spin in every club, it's almost natural. But there were always the experience hands to get them back into line for the sake of the group as a whole. The majority of the spin was kept together and steady where required mostly because no one really wanted to go deep early in the season and get sick.
I'll say though that the group should not go as slow as its slowest rider. I think if the majority can hold the pace, the minority need to check to see they're in the correct group.

Maybe pit together smaller groups of a similar standard with an experienced head in each group. Stops half wheeling, racing, attacking, sprinting until maybe 10 kms from the end or so when riders can unleash hell if they want.

If I'm a newbie to the club and I'm reading this I would be terrified of choosing the wrong group perhaps finding myself out the back 50kms from home on my own. That's not what anyone wants.

More
7 years 4 months ago #20547 by Michael Hanley
Replied by Michael Hanley on topic Winter spins Red and Orange groups
Also remember that there is nothing to stop people organising their own spins, if you find a group of people you enjoy cycling with, start a whatsapp group or even post up on the "spins" section of this forum, dictating what you want from your spin (see Freddie's post above).

Time to create page: 0.258 seconds