RANDONNEURS ROUND THE YEAR

More
7 years 5 months ago #20118 by Leonard Kaye
RANDONNEURS ROUND THE YEAR was created by Leonard Kaye
RANDONNEURS ROUND THE YEAR
The Randonneur Round the Year (RRTY) is awarded to any rider who completes at least one approved Calendar or Permanent Audax ride of minimum 200k each month for any 12 consecutive months.

=============================================
Hi All
Myself and Andrew Potts are going to attempt the above award. We would love some other Orwell members to join us. The award can be started in any month, and you continue on with consecutive months. We will begin next month with the:

FACELESS MONK 200, Date: 12th November 2016
www.audaxireland.org/events-calendar/gaz...s/faceless-monk-200/

Below is some additional information; however you can get a fuller brief at

www.audaxireland.org/audax/randonneur-round-the-year-rrty/

RRTY INFO.
• It’s not necessary to ride a different event each month for the 12 months. The same event may be ridden for different months with no limit on the number of times it may be repeated.

Cheers,
Leonard
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Danny Moriarty, Kevin Connaire, Andrew Potts, Colin Coffey

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #20121 by Dave Mc
Replied by Dave Mc on topic RANDONNEURS ROUND THE YEAR
Kudos to anyone who is thinking of taking this challenge on. While 200k a month probably sounds easy enough, the fact that you have to do it every month, all year round, even through the depths of Winter, make this a tough enough challenge for anyone.

Only one current Orwell member has managed to complete a RRTY to date (Danny Moriarty), so if anyone else who is feeling audacious enough to give it a go has my complete respect.

If anyone else is tempted into giving it a go but isn't ready to go out doing Winter time 200s just yet, bear in mind that you can start at anytime of year that suits you, so there is no problem joining in with the guys in a couple of months time or later in the year as and when you feel ready. With that said, this is the best time of year to start an attempt at the RRTY, as any attempt is most likely to fail in December- January- February, and if you miss a month early on it shouldn't be any big problem to pick up the pieces and start again, whereas if you DNFed after 10 or 11 months it might be heartbreak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Danny Moriarty, Andrew Potts, Colin Coffey, Leonard Kaye

More
7 years 5 months ago #20122 by Colin Coffey
Replied by Colin Coffey on topic RANDONNEURS ROUND THE YEAR
Count me in, can do 12th Nov. I can get out every two weeks from that date.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Potts, Leonard Kaye

More
7 years 5 months ago #20123 by Andrew Potts
Replied by Andrew Potts on topic RANDONNEURS ROUND THE YEAR
Looking forward to it Leonard . It's going to be a great year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colin Coffey, Leonard Kaye

• Alexandru Lazarciuc
7 years 5 months ago #20126 by Alexandru Lazarciuc
Replied by Alexandru Lazarciuc on topic RANDONNEURS ROUND THE YEAR
Hi Leonard,

I'm in for this as well.

Regards,
Alex

More
7 years 5 months ago #20139 by Kevin Connaire
Replied by Kevin Connaire on topic RANDONNEURS ROUND THE YEAR
Count me in - will give it a go !. Kevin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonard Kaye

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #20143 by Leonard Kaye
Replied by Leonard Kaye on topic RANDONNEURS ROUND THE YEAR
Hi all
Will the:
‘Famous Five’ - become
‘The ‘Magnificent Seven’ or even
‘The Dirty Dozen’ -- with 21 days until our first Audax?

I have been asked by the organiser of the ‘Faceless Monk’ that we do not register yet; as he has a limit and he wants to check how many he has on board. This will not be a problem for us as Dave Mac tells me that we have plenty of ‘Permanent Audax ‘ options.

I’ll update as soon as I get news.

Cheers,
Leonard
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Leonard Kaye.

More
7 years 5 months ago #20151 by Leonard Kaye
Hi Alex, Andrew, Colin and Kevin, I have just got word today from the Faceless Monk organiser giving us the go-ahead to sign up for this event.

Can you do so as soon as you can please.

Cheers,
Leonard

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #20152 by Leonard Kaye
Hi guys
I attach a blank Audax form.

File Attachment:

File Name: Audax-Entr...015.docx
File Size:18 KB

Email the completed one to Ronnie Moore at
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

You can pay the 5 Euro to Audax ireland by Palpal at www.paypal.com

Please make sure to include a message saying what the payment is for as otherwise they have no way of knowing, and cannot advise organisers of events regarding your payments.

You can also pay by Cheque or Postal Order to Audax Ireland

Cheers
Leonard
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Potts, Colin Coffey

More
7 years 5 months ago #20156 by Jose Filipe
Replied by Jose Filipe on topic RANDONNEURS ROUND THE YEAR
Hi Leonard,
I've signed up for the Faceless Monk 200.
Cheers Jose

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #20161 by Colin Coffey
Thanks for following up on all this Leonard. So I expect if you want a 200km audax medal you pay audax Ireland €10?
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Colin Coffey.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #20162 by Leonard Kaye
Hi Colin

My understanding is yes. I may be wrong , but hopefully Dave will come back on this!

There may be an option of getting the Irish or the French medal! The Irish one is the same as your 300km Audax medal with 200km stamped on the back; the French one is different.

Hopefully Dave will give guide us on this.

Cheers
Leonard.

More
7 years 5 months ago #20163 by Colin Coffey
Thanks Leonard, I will just email the registration form for the moment and pay later.

More
7 years 5 months ago #20165 by Mark Jones
Replied by Mark Jones on topic RANDONNEURS ROUND THE YEAR
Hi all,

Just wondering do you need a CI Racing license to take part in this challenge? I only have a Leisure license and it isn't due to expire until February 2017 but I am thinking about starting the RRTY in January.

Thanks,

Mark

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #20167 by Luke GJ Potter
Replied by Luke GJ Potter on topic RANDONNEURS ROUND THE YEAR
Cool idea to get a group of people doing it Leonard/Andrew.

I'm taking my Christmas holidays late November/Early December, I'll whip out an Orwell 200 (which is a permanent Audax route) or two a weekday and see how I get on. And Pony up the money all at the end of the year for the medal.

Do you need a CI Racing license to take part in this challenge?

This is not a racing thing, so an LC licence will suffice.

"All participants most have a valid Cycling Ireland Licence." from the Audax Ireland page on the RRTY

"We have checked with Cycling Ireland and they have advised us that any riders officially doing a Permanent ride must have a Cycling Ireland Licence for Insurance purposes." from their Permanent Routes page.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Luke GJ Potter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonard Kaye, Mark Jones

More
7 years 5 months ago #20168 by Leonard Kaye
Thanks for the answer Luke, and well done to all who have committed so far.
1. Andrew
2. Alex
3. Colin
4. Jose
5. Kevin
6. Leonard
7. Luke
8. Mark
What comes ‘After Eight’ ?

Will we make the “Dirty Dozen” ?
Cheers,
Leonard

More
7 years 5 months ago #20169 by Danny Moriarty
Replied by Danny Moriarty on topic RANDONNEURS ROUND THE YEAR
Fair play to all giving this a bash - oddly enough I would say there is never a bad month to start a RRTY - I finished mine the bank holiday Saturday in August 2015 and ironically enough made $hit of my hip two days later (which was 12 days before PBP)......lesson there is get your events done early in the month !!! - it should be a lot easier if there is a group committed to it - good luck to all.

Shorter term - a note of warning to veterans of the Orwell 200 and 300 - navigation and surface etc. is easy on these events but some of the Audax events (Faceless Monk being one and nearly any organised by Ronnie!!) will invariably encounter tricky rural lanes with grass in the middle and crater like holes etc. I recall cycling up a small hill on the Faceless Monk two years ago and there was a stream like flow of river on the road (a resident was brushing remnants of the road out of his driveway) - on cresting the hill the road was maybe 8 feet wide but had a healthy median of grass about two feet wide - I did not leave much road to play with and given the rain I didn't fancy weaving over and back the grassy median - invariably that meant ploughing through or bunny hopping pot holes................ as Ronnie would say leave the lego wheels at home :) The beauty of Ronnie's rides are that they take you to areas of interest, his rides are themed and the roads are really quite - be prepared for walking around monasterys, abbeys, graveyards !!

Medals - Protocol seems to be Pay for medals on COMPLETION of events - i.e. when you sign your brevet card, tick the box for medal and give the organiser the extra €5 (the French medals can take up to 12 months to receive and are posted to your address by the ride organiser). The French medals have a different face for each distance)

Most (but not all) organisers will have a stock of Audax Ireland Medals at the event (with distance engraved on the back) but you they can be posted - these are an additional €5. (I don't think Ronnie does these medals?)

The actual RRTY medal is €10 and can be applied for from the secretary once the RRTY rides are validated.

Lastly/Most importantly - obviously lights (inc backup lights) and a high vis are a must but I recommend a head torch light as well - it is handy if you puncture in the dark (and you are alone!)

Good luck to all - hope to see you at the Faceless Monk or Geimhridh 200.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kevin Connaire, Andrew Potts, Luke GJ Potter, Leonard Kaye

More
7 years 5 months ago #20185 by Andrew Potts
Replied by Andrew Potts on topic RANDONNEURS ROUND THE YEAR
Completely putting the cart before the horse a suggestion for the first three.
Faceless Monk 12th Nov
Gheimhridh 200 3rd Dec
Then a permanant the Ardattion 200 looks like a handy coastal spin in Jan 2017.
The good news is with those three we get to see a good bit of Leinster in crisp winter sunshine.
After that its all uphill temp wise and light wise, I certainly will be thinking of using
permanants to try and avoid horrible days. I was out in the rain for 13 hours last year during The Faceless Monk the result being the gear came out of the washing machine drier then when they went in.
Cheers Andrew
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kevin Connaire, Luke GJ Potter, Leonard Kaye

More
7 years 5 months ago #20188 by Leonard Kaye
Sound like a good plan Andrew. I now have the 'Gheimhridh 200 3rd Dec' in the diary. Add on the Orwell 200, 300 and 400 sure we're nearly finished. (:~)

Cheers,
Leonard
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kevin Connaire

More
7 years 5 months ago #20194 by Tony Walsh
Replied by Tony Walsh on topic RANDONNEURS ROUND THE YEAR
Hi Leonard

I have signed up for the Faceless Monk.

Regards

Tony