Final Yellow Spin of the Summer - Sat. 26th 8:15

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #12560 by Greg Farrell
It's my final Saturday spin of the Summer and I've done up a celebratory route with all your favourite climbs :)

www.strava.com/routes/3368521

It's less than 100km and practically flat.

We'll start opposite Joe Daly's at 8:15 (that's 8:20 for you Barry!), then first stop is up Kilmashogue lane. The extreme gradient will allow us to spend more time in each other's company as we grunt out our tearful goodbyes between gasping breaths.

After that we have the gentle climb up Cruagh, Featherbeds and to the top of Kippure. Where we'll have tea and biscuits (if you remember to bring them with you) and then descend, descend, descend all the way to the bottom of the Full Wall + Old Long Hill.

After that short climb it's practically downhill to Roundwood and the beautiful Sugar Mountain - NB, this is cafe, not a climb! There has been confusion about this before...

We'll roll gently homewards via Lugalla and the Sally Gap. Finishing up via John Anslow's personal favourite - the Featherbeds climb.

I hope to see lots of you on Saturday, they've been a pleasure to run and I've really enjoyed the company. Depending on weather I'd like to organise some hilly spins over the winter months - we'll see.

The weekend after this I'm sadly house-bound minding 3 kids all weekend but the Keith Harte spin is on so I hope everybody who can go, does go to that :)
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Greg Farrell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Mullen, Leonard Kaye, Ronan Moran, Rafael Oshiro

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #12562 by BarryR
Your definitions of "favourite" and "practically flat" are interesting...

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greg Farrell

More
8 years 6 months ago #12564 by Luke GJ Potter
Replied by Luke GJ Potter on topic Final Yellow Spin of the Summer - Sat. 26th 8:15
Fantastic Route Greg. I'd love to go, but I don't want to be dead for the CX the next day.
The spins have been great all summer. Thanks.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #12566 by Greg Farrell
Replied by Greg Farrell on topic Final Yellow Spin of the Summer - Sat. 26th 8:15
For anyone who'd like to join us but is a bit daunted by the climbs it's an option to only go part (or no) way up Kilmashogue and Kippure.

That'd make the trip to coffee in Roundwood much easier and we usually have a few people who then decide to take the easier way home via Djouce.

I'll be doing all the climbs but I'd expect we will have a mix.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Greg Farrell.

More
8 years 6 months ago #12567 by John Anslow
Replied by John Anslow on topic Final Yellow Spin of the Summer - Sat. 26th 8:15
well if featherbeds is included I couldn't refuse

More
8 years 6 months ago #12569 by Sarah Buckley
Replied by Sarah Buckley on topic Final Yellow Spin of the Summer - Sat. 26th 8:15
Thanks Greg. I'll be there but may take a few easier options en route in an attempt to keep up with the group :-) Great to hear about possibility of some hilly spins over winter months - I'd definitely be on for those.

More
8 years 6 months ago #12571 by Noel Finnegan
Replied by Noel Finnegan on topic Final Yellow Spin of the Summer - Sat. 26th 8:15
I'll be there Greg, looking forward to it!
Noel

More
8 years 6 months ago #12572 by Leonard Kaye
Replied by Leonard Kaye on topic Final Yellow Spin of the Summer - Sat. 26th 8:15
HI

Looking forward to the final FLAT spin Greg (:~).

Leonard

More
8 years 6 months ago #12588 by Rafael Oshiro
Replied by Rafael Oshiro on topic Final Yellow Spin of the Summer - Sat. 26th 8:15
Great route Greg! Not sure I can make the it on Saturday though.

But anyway thanks for organising all the "Greg-tives" during the summer! I lost the count of how many times I climbed Sally Gap this year :)

More
8 years 6 months ago #12594 by Martin Bolsinger
Replied by Martin Bolsinger on topic Final Yellow Spin of the Summer - Sat. 26th 8:15
Same here. Unfortunately, I will miss Saturday.

Greg thanks for organising all those spins over the summer. I really enjoyed them.

• Maeve O'Donnell
8 years 6 months ago #12595 by Maeve O'Donnell
Replied by Maeve O'Donnell on topic Final Yellow Spin of the Summer - Sat. 26th 8:15
Looking forward to it!
I'm pretty sure if you could swap Sugar Mountain for another climb you would!

More
8 years 6 months ago #12598 by Leonard Kaye
Replied by Leonard Kaye on topic Final Yellow Spin of the Summer - Sat. 26th 8:15
Sorry Greg, won't make the 8:15 spin, thanks for all your efforts and 'creative' routes' this year,
Enjoy.
Cheers
Leonard

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #12600 by Donal O'Connor
Replied by Donal O'Connor on topic Final Yellow Spin of the Summer - Sat. 26th 8:15
Thanks Greg, good spin today even though I had to peel off a bit early. First time climbing Kilmashogue was interesting and an added bonus to cycle with a 'man of the Ras'

A few hardy souls on the way to Kippure.
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Donal O'Connor.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #12607 by BarryR
Thanks to all for the help with my mechanical drama just before Roundwood, and apologies for the disruption. It took a team of 3 engineers to tie enough bits back onto my bike to get me to Roundwood, with Greg as Lead Engineer. Thanks also to whoever donated the Quick Link (sorry, can't remember who provided that). See below for a photo of the exploded deraileur. I had to replace the cassette too, because the impact of the derailleur bent a couple of the sprockets!

I got home ok, with family help. Disappointed not to finish the ride, but I did the most challenging bits! Thanks Greg for providing the motivation to get out over the summer. Really enjoyed the rides and the company.

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by BarryR.

More
8 years 6 months ago #12608 by John Anslow
Replied by John Anslow on topic Final Yellow Spin of the Summer - Sat. 26th 8:15
Greg-thanks for organising all the "yellow" spins, it was just great hitting the featherbeds nearly every week. Saturdays won't be the same, but roll on Sundays!
Barry-glad you made it back and well done on the McGyver skills!

More
8 years 5 months ago #12656 by Paul Cullen
Replied by Paul Cullen on topic Final Yellow Spin of the Summer - Sat. 26th 8:15
Thanks Greg, again it has been a great way to spend Saturday Morning excellent spins and wonderful company and I will try the bread and butter pudding next time in Sugar Mountain.

More
8 years 5 months ago #12741 by Alan Casey
Replied by Alan Casey on topic Final Yellow Spin of the Summer - Sat. 26th 8:15
Great job in organising all these spins Greg. Well done!

Time to create page: 0.494 seconds