Zwift questions

More
3 years 11 months ago #32082 by Glenn Daly
Zwift questions was created by Glenn Daly
Hi all,

I have a Tacx Neo smart trainer connected to a laptop via bluetooth. During an hour spin today the signal dropped out twice and the rider stopped pedalling. It said the unit was connected but no signal. Same for the HRM. Reconnected after a few minutes. Is ANT+ more stable?

Regards

Glenn

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #32085 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic Zwift questions
Glenn, this can happen if the bluetooth signal is weak or is there is interference.

A weak signal can be caused by the computer being too far away or something bulky in the path between it and the sensors. Also, some computers are better than others at connecting to bluetooth devices.

Interference can happen quite easily because in any house there are many devices trying to use the same radio band (including wifi), and there are also some home appliances that can interfere with the bluetooth frequencies.

Things you can try:

• Make sure that you're not beside anything that might cause interference. For example, a wifi hub or other wifi device within a 2 or 3 metres, or a phone sitting right beside the computer.

• Use ANT+ instead of bluetooth if you can. Sometimes ANT+ is more stable. You'll almost certainly need an ANT+ USB dongle for your computer. If you haven't already got one, take a look here for information: zwiftinsider.com/ant-dongles-for-zwift/

• Put a bluetooth or ANT+ dongle on the end of a USB extender cable, to get it closer to the Tacx. Sometimes an external dongle works better than the bluetooth built in to a computer.

• Make sure that your trainer and sensors are not connecting to something else - a bike computer for example. Bluetooth devices can only connect to one computer at a time, unlike ANT+ devices which can send their data to many other devices at the same time.

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glenn Daly

More
3 years 11 months ago #32111 by Glenn Daly
Replied by Glenn Daly on topic Zwift questions
Thanks Barry.

So this morning I tried it with the iPad mounted on the handlebars... more stable and no drop outs. Only question now is regarding the accuracy of the speed. I use a Tacx Neo smart trainer and when pedalling at a cadence of about 80rpm in 34/30T gearing it's reading about 7 - 8 km/hr when I know in the real world it's usually about 12km/hr. There doesn't seem to be any calibration options on Zwift for this model of trainer.

Any ideas / thoughts?

Glenn

More
3 years 11 months ago #32114 by BarryR
This is normal, and there's nothing you can do to change it.

It's caused by the way that Zwift calculates your speed. It doesn't pick up your speed from your trainer, it calculates it from your power. It does that by combining your power data with the conditions that oppose you, including information or estimation of your weight, bike weight, aerodynamic effects, wind, drafting and gradient. So with all those variables it's not surprising that the speed that Zwift calculates doesn't come out as you might expect.

There's an article about this on Zwift Insider:
zwiftinsider.com/garmin-zwift-distance/

More
3 years 11 months ago #32116 by Luke GJ Potter
Replied by Luke GJ Potter on topic Zwift questions

... when pedalling at a cadence of about 80rpm in 34/30T gearing it's reading about 7 - 8 km/hr when I know in the real world it's usually about 12km/hr. ...

What Barry said, but also...
The Trainer Difficulty setting is likely at the default of 50%, so you're virtually pedalling a 34-36t.

The lower your Trainer Difficulty, the virtually larger your cassette.

If you do a workout in ERG Mode, your flywheel speed can be used to simulate climbing intervals (34-30t lower flywheel speed), or flat road intervals (50-11t faster flywheels speed).

P.S. Welcome to the Neo Master Race.

More
3 years 11 months ago #32117 by Glenn Daly
Thanks Barry.
Thanks Luke - I'll try change the difficulty setting to see if that changes the speed to be more realistic.

More
3 years 11 months ago #32120 by Glenn Daly
@Luke I didn't change the difficulty level this time round... I tried one of the ERG workouts. Much better bang for your buck!

Any opinions / advice on the best way to stream it to the TV? I've tried a few options....

iPad steamed via airplay / screen mirroring to Apple TV - doesn't do 16:9 screen ratio but otherwise good.

iPhone XR streamed via airplay / screen mirroring to Apple TV - not exactly 16:9 but does take the width of the screen. The use the iPad on a holder for the companion app.

Macbook (2012) HDMI connected to TV - needs usb extension cable bluetooth/ANT+ dongle to get close to the smart trainer.

Overall - I'd say the iPhone via Apple TV is the best for my config.

Any other ideas?

Glenn
Attachments:

More
3 years 11 months ago #32121 by BarryR
At that distance from the tv, it's not giving you any real improvement. You can see in your photo that the iPad is actually fractionally larger in your field of view.

The solution is obviously to get rid of the sofa and coffee table and move closer. #Priorities.

More
3 years 11 months ago #32123 by Glenn Daly
So far the best combo is streaming if from the iPhone and using the iPad for Zwift companion app.

But I agree... the sofa & coffee table (+wife) has to go!

More
3 years 11 months ago #32124 by Luke GJ Potter
I'd ignore the TV, it's a mental hurdle, cognitive load speaking. Unless you want to AirPlay actual entertainment on it.

You're also going to ruin the sofa and paint when you're spraying sweat.
In race situations, when your eyeballs roll into your skull, you're also going to wack your head off that metal handle.

I'd flip your trainer and bike 180 degrees. That'll give you access to your lower stairs steps as a shelf.
Then sellotape some cardboard to the end of the tablet holder's bottles section and use that as a phone holder.
It'll give you access to the driveside of the bike for adjustment
Then it's a case of getting the bike away from the sofa, so you don't get any chain lube splashing on your sofa.

More
3 years 11 months ago #32128 by Darran Kearney
Replied by Darran Kearney on topic Zwift questions
You can just run Zwift direct on the AppleTV without any need for airplay. Can then have the companion app running on your phone or tablet if you need it. The AppleTV remote is pants though for Zwift but fine for the basics

More
3 years 11 months ago #32138 by Glenn Daly
Hi Darren,
I don't think my version of the Apple TV will allow apps to be installed. I think it's gen 1 or 2.

Glenn

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #32139 by BarryR
One more option if you want to use the tv is to go back to old fashioned wires. Get an Apple HDMI adapter, and a longish HDMI cable, and connect directly from your iPad or iPhone to your tv.

Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by BarryR.

More
3 years 11 months ago #32148 by Luke GJ Potter
Lidl have a 48cm floor fan for sale from tomorrow, 16th April.
These'll keep you cool when going hard.
It seems to be a spray painted version of the ones on Amazon.

Link: www.lidl.ie/en/p/diy-deals/floor-fan/p40346

I also use this remote On/Off Plug Switch: www.amazon.co.uk/XINGYE-Wireless-Operati...ehold/dp/B07HKX5HHG/

More
3 years 11 months ago #32217 by Diarmuid Donnelly
Replied by Diarmuid Donnelly on topic Zwift questions
Got that fan Luke, makes a big difference. Thanks for the tip!

More
3 years 11 months ago #32218 by Diarmuid Donnelly
Replied by Diarmuid Donnelly on topic Pairing Stages Power Meter with Zwift
Hi Zwift experts,

I'm having fierce problems getting Zwift to pair with my power meter, either using an ANT+ dongle on the laptop, or using the Zwift Companion app on my phone.

If I use the ANT+ dongle, Zwift pairs with the power meter right away, but quickly reports "no signal". So that's completely useless.

If I use the Companion App, then once Zwift picks up the power meter then everythinig works fine and I can cycle away. However it can take 10 minutes or more for Zwift to pick up the power meter via the Companion app, and sometimes it needs several restarts of the Zwift program and/or the Companion app before things will work properly.

On the other hand, if I use the the RGT app, it pairs up with my power meter instantly, so this is very much a Zwift-specific issue.

Any suggestions?

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #32219 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic Pairing Stages Power Meter with Zwift
Does your power meter support bluetooth? Have you tried that instead of ANT+?

Hard to think of a reason why RGT would have no problem but Zwift would. If there was an issue with Zwift's ANT+ behaviour it would be common knowledge. What model of power meter are you using? (Edit: Sorry - just saw Stages in the title!)

Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by BarryR.

More
3 years 11 months ago #32220 by BarryR
Stages PM has both ANT+ and Bluetooth. Zwift and RGT both can do ANT+ and Bluetooth. It may be that Zwift prefers one of them and RGT the other?

More
3 years 11 months ago #32221 by BarryR
Is the Stages firmware up to date? Zwift's power meter page seems to indicate that it needs to be.
support.zwift.com/en_us/power-meters-Bk7hoXWlS

More
3 years 11 months ago #32223 by Diarmuid Donnelly
Replied by Diarmuid Donnelly on topic Pairing Stages Power Meter with Zwift
Thanks for the suggestions Barry. I think I am up to date with all software, but will check again. Still looking forward to the day that I am able to join and start a Zwift meetup on time!

Time to create page: 0.414 seconds