bike helmet with / without MIPS? any trustworthy independent research?

• Peter Wiktorowski
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 7 months ago #37603 by Peter Wiktorowski
I need to get a new helmet and model I like does not have MIPS, I read of benefits of MIPS, however all research on MIPS effectiveness seems to point to MIPS ;) who licenses this technology. Anyone came across trustworthy independent research?  

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #37605 by Joe Fitzpatrick
There are quite a few publications in the

Annals of biomedical engineering

or in the

International Journal of Impact Engineering

More
1 year 6 months ago #37607 by Willy Madden
Virginia tech rate quite a few helmets on their site.... not all the top rated ones have MIPS (alot do)  I think as long as you are replacing your helmet every few years you are getting improved protection over your last one - weather its MIPS or something else the different companies are advertising better protection over their last model.... 

www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html 

More
1 year 6 months ago #37619 by Louise Keane
Hi Peter
While MIPS & Wavecell are a great safety addition to helmets - particularly if you race or ride your bike a lot - be careful not to go on research alone. We see a crazy number of people who are wearing badly fitting or old helmets and these will do very little to help if someone hits the ground. 

Each helmet company has a different mould and therefore suit different head shapes.  Make sure you try on a few different brands and get the one that fits you best. 

bear in mind that the same helmet with mips will fit slightly differently to the version without mips. There can also be weight differences and these don’t suit everyone. 

Louise
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Potts

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds