Training in Calpe - March 2020

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #30571 by BarryR
Training in Calpe - March 2020 was created by BarryR
[For up to date dates and flights see the most recent messages below]
Romano and I are planning a training trip to Calpe, Spain, in early March 2020, continuing a long tradition started by Peter Schweppe, who is moving to flatter Spanish terrain next year. We're looking for a few more people to join us. At this stage we're just looking for who's interested. Definite commitment will be needed by October/November.

Calpe is a well known cycling base about an hour and a half north of Alicante. Lots of great mountain routes, beautiful scenery, and delicious coffee and lunch stops in cafes in the mountains or by a beach. We use this trip as pre-season training for the IVCA racing, but we don't go uphill as fast as we used to so don't be put off...

The way it works is that you book and pay for your own flights to and from Alicante (we'll tell you which flights). We book the hotel and the airport transfer, and you pay for them yourself when you get there. The hotel is the Galetamar, Calpe, which is right on the coast. Cost of the hotel is still to be fixed, but on the 2019 trip the cost was about €50 per day sharing including breakfast and buffet dinner. You can bring your own bike, or rent one from any of a number of places in Calpe.

Romano and I are planning to go on Saturday 29th February, and return on Wed 11th or Thurs 12th March. It is possible to arrive later or return earlier if you want a shorter trip.

If you're interested or have questions contact me by email at
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
or leave a message here.

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by BarryR.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darragh Connolly

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #30754 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic Training in Calpe - March 2020
If you want to see some of the climbs and roads around Calpe, watch stage 2 of the Vuelta tomorrow. It passes over some of the climbs we use for the longer days out, and it ends in Calpe. It also passes some of our favourite cafes, but I don't think the Vuelta riders will be stopping. Their loss.

www.lavuelta.es/en/stage-2

More
4 years 7 months ago #30765 by BarryR
So if you enjoyed watching Nico Roche take the red jersey on the Vuelta stage into Calpe today, why not ride those roads yourself? Today's route passed within 100m of our hotel (twice). Join us for 12 days in Calpe from 29th Feb 2020, and we could even try that 16% climb that exploded the peloton today - or we could take a short cut and get to the coffee in Moraira early!

More
4 years 6 months ago #30793 by BarryR
Hotel cost for 12 days in Calpe, from Saturday 29th Feb to Thursday 12th March, is €398 per person sharing, with half board. That includes buffet breakfast and buffet dinner in the evening. Lunches will be in picturesque cafes on our routes each day.

Cost of transfers between Alicante airport and the hotel are not fixed yet. I'll put those here as soon as I have them.

Our flights will be EI572 Dublin-Alicante 29th February and EI573 Alicante-Dublin 12th March. At present the Aer Lingus website is showing €143 return for that, plus bike charge if you're bringing it.

Amazing value, fantastic location, turbo charge your 2020 season - what's not to like??

More
4 years 6 months ago #30862 by BarryR
Dates for the trip to Calpe have been shifted forward by 2 days to avoid clashing with another large cycling group going out on the same flight on the Saturday with their bikes. Aer Lingus have a limit on the number of bikes per flight, so we want to avoid problems.

The new dates are Thursday 27th February to Tuesday 10th March, still 12 days. Hotel costs are still the same at €398 per person sharing with half board.

Flights will be Aer Lingus EI572 Dublin to Alicante on 27th Feb and EI573 Alicante to Dublin on 10th March. At the moment the Aer Lingus website shows €105 return for that (plus extra for a bike).

Airport transfers with Beniconnect will be €56 or less per person return, including bike. Exact cost will depend on the number of people in our group.

So total cost will be approximately €600 for 12 very enjoyable days that will move your cycling up a level for 2020. I'll be looking for confirmations in the next 4 weeks or so.

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #31030 by BarryR
The 2019 season is over, so it's definitely time to think about some sunshine cycling in early Spring 2020! The deadline for confirming that you're joining us in Calpe is 31st October, just a few weeks away. A reminder of the details:

• Dates: Leaving on Thursday 27th Feb 2020, returning on Tuesday 10th March 2020.
  • Accomodation: Hotel Galetamar, Calpe, €398 per person sharing for the 12 days, including buffet breakfast and buffet dinner each day.
  • Transfers: €56 or less return by direct bus between Alicante airport and the hotel (including bike).
  • Flights: EI572 Dublin-Alicante on Thursday 27th Feb, and EI573 Alicante-Dublin on Thursday 10th March. Currently showing as €105 return on aerlingus.com, not including checked luggage and not including bike.
To confirm that you'll be coming just book your own flights as above, and let me know (before 31st October) that you have done that. I will book the hotel and airport transfers for the group.

It is possible to rent a good bike in Calpe instead of bring your own. Here are a couple of places that we've used before:

SolyBikes is a bike shop in the centre of Calpe
Vuelta Turistica is a bike tour operator literally a 5 minute walk from our hotel.
Search online for "bike rent calpe" for more rental options.

If you've never done a cycling trip like this before and you're wondering if you'll be able for it, the answer is yes you will! We never leave anyone behind, we have a few easy days for recovery (loooong lunches) and you can skip a day on the bike if you wish.

Getting out on the bike every day for 12 days will do wonders for your form next year, whether it's for leisure or racing. Or if you just fancy 12 days of cycling in the sun with wonderful scenery, great roads, delicious food, and a friendly bunch then this is for you.

If you've any questions contact me by email on
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
or by phone on

And to help you decide here are a few photos from our last couple of years in Calpe...

Route planning

One of those lunches I keep talking about. This is in Moraira, with Calpe visible in the distance.

Bike rack outside our favourite cafe in Xavier.

View from half way up one of the longer climbs.

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by BarryR.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Louise Keane

More
4 years 5 months ago #31106 by BarryR
A few more photos from the last couple of years' trips to Calpe, to nudge you in the right direction. Go on, you know you want to...

Coming over a mountain pass back towards the coast.

A gentle climb up through a valley on a quiet road.

Past vineyards with the new growth just beginning to appear.

And lunch in the courtyard of a bike shop.

Attachments:

More
4 years 5 months ago #31115 by Stephen McNally
Replied by Stephen McNally on topic Training in Calpe - March 2020
I'm in Barry, flights booked.. Looks like a great opportunity for a solid block of warm weather training, and some sunshine, just at the right time of the season... thanks for organising!
The following user(s) said Thank You: BarryR

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #31124 by BarryR
If you're interested in coming to Calpe but the full 12 days doesn't fit into your schedule it is possible to shorten it by arriving after 27th February or leaving before 10th March. We already have one person not arriving until Tuesday 3rd March, and another leaving on Saturday 7th March. So if you can't do the full 12 days get in touch with me and we'll see what we can arrange. Aer Lingus only flies to/from Alicante on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays at that time of year so that limits things a bit.

The trip is just over 4 months away, so now is the time to make the decision. Remember that flights may become full, or fares become more expensive, so the sooner the better. To help you along, here's another photo from last year.

Traffic jam at some road works on the way out of Calpe to start the day's ride.

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by BarryR. Reason: Typo

More
4 years 4 months ago #31299 by BarryR
It seems that Aer Lingus may have cancelled our flights between Dublin & Alicante. In fact it looks like they may have cancelled all their winter flights to/from Alicante up to 19th March 2020.

I have been trying to get confirmation of this from Aer Lingus but I have had completely conflicting information from them over the last 2 days. On one call to them I was told the flights had been cancelled, and on another I was told they definitely hadn't been cancelled. I'm still working to find out the reality.

I'll post here as soon as I'm sure I have the facts. If the flights have been cancelled I think our only alternative will be to switch to Ryanair flights. Not my favourite airline but it might be our only option.

More
4 years 4 months ago #31311 by BarryR
Aer Lingus have cancelled their winter schedule to/from Alicante, so we will switch to Ryanair for the same dates. So that's FR7062 DUB-ALC on Thurs 27th Feb, and FR7063 ALC-DUB on Tues 10th March.

If you want to join us just book your flights and let me know - I'll add you to the bookings for airport connections and hotel. If you have questions just ask. Contact details:

Do it very soon, I'm about to finalise the hotel booking. The trip is only just over 3 months away! Whether you're planning to race next season, do the Wicklow 200 or Étape, or just get fitter on the bike this is an ideal opportunity to move up a level. If you're wondering whether you'd be able for a trip like this, don't worry - you will. You can skip or shorten a ride if you want, and we never leave anybody behind.

Attachments:

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #31340 by BarryR
Last call for the trip to Calpe in early March, just 13 weeks away now. Reminder of all the details below. Go on, go for it. If not now then when? It's 12 enjoyable days on the bike that will make all your 2020 bike rides more enjoyable. You know what they say - the fitter you get the less you suffer. ;-) ?

• Dates: Leaving on Thursday 27th Feb 2020, returning on Tuesday 10th March 2020.
  • Accommodation: Hotel Galetamar, Calpe, €398 per person sharing for the 12 days, including buffet breakfast and buffet dinner each day.
  • Transfers: €56 or less return by direct bus between Alicante airport and the hotel (including bike).
  • Flights: Ryanair FR7062 Dublin-Alicante on Thurs 27th Feb, and FR7063 Alicante-Dublin on Tues 10th March.

Contact me with questions or to join the trip, but do it now.

Book your own flights as above, and I will book the hotel and airport transfers for the group. If 12 days is a little longer than your allowances will stretch to you can shorten it by arriving later or leaving before the end. Get in touch to ask me about that. And non-Orwell partners/friends/relatives are welcome to join us too.

If you're bringing your own bike don't forget to add it to your flight bookings. If you want to rent a bike in Calpe here are a couple of places that we've used before:

• SolyBike is a bike shop in the centre of Calpe
  • Vuelta Turistica is a bike tour operator literally a 5 minute walk from our hotel.

Search online for "bike rent calpe" for more rental options.

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by BarryR.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #31975 by BarryR
Just back from Calpe. Sorry to have to report that the weather was fantastic, we got out on the bikes every day, the roads were smooth, the hills were high, the coffee was delicious, the views were spectacular, and the craic was mighty.

Put it in your diary for next year!

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by BarryR.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, Stephen McNally, Louise Keane

Time to create page: 0.707 seconds