*** Orwell Wheelers Weekend Away ***

• Colm Featherstone
  • Colm Featherstone's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 7 months ago #30775 by Colm Featherstone
*** Orwell Wheelers Weekend Away *** was created by Colm Featherstone
Just a reminder below in regard to the Orwell weekend away which was posted earlier in the summer, there has been a great response, so if you are thinking about it, give the hotel a ring. Best value weekend you will ever get.

The “Tour de Slieveblooms” will take place on Saturday the 26th of October, the bank holiday weekend.

Here is the plan:

Drive to Portlaoise, and leave the car at The Midlands Park Hotel.

Depart hotel on spin around the challenging Slieve blooms, routes will be advised later.

Dinner in hotel restaurant followed by the craic in Portlaoise town.

Sunday morning, following breakfast head on second spin, or travel home, whatever suits.

All spinners will have the use of the leisure center at Hotel before traveling home.

The cost, Dinner Bed & Breakfast, 3 people sharing, 75 each, 2 people sharing 85 each, single room 115.

Great deal, great hotel, great company, great spins.

Contact the hotel on 057-8678588, group booking in my name, the rooms will be all gone fairly quick.

Colm F.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denis Gleeson, Stefan Foster, Tom McGovern

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Colm Featherstone
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #31040 by Colm Featherstone
Replied by Colm Featherstone on topic *** Orwell Wheelers Weekend Away ***
Good evening all.

Just a quick note about the upcoming weekend away.

As you know we are heading on a tour of the Slieve Bloom Mountains on Saturday the 26th of October.

The hotel is currently fully booked, but do not despair if you still want to travel, as a good few members have booked single rooms and I know they would only be too glad to share with a fellow member, so anyone still interested please let me know.

Current plan is to leave the hotel on the spin at 10am, would you believe though that if Ireland get to the Semi-Finals of the World Cup the match will be either on that morning at 9am, or the Sunday morning at 9am. I know it does not look likely at the moment but as the social secretary one has to prepare for all eventualities .

Below see the routes for the day, one has three climbs, The Cut, Wolftrap, and Glendine, at about 98k, while the second one just has The Cut & Wolftrap, and is a longer spin back to hotel at 105k. Arrangements have been made for a food stops in Giltraps licensed premises in Kinnity Co.Offaly which is at the 50k mark.

www.strava.com/routes/21993070
www.strava.com/routes/21992882

Dinner will served in the hotel at 8pm, and then maybe a few late drinks and a bit of music locally. I have arranged for winter time saving to kick in from 2am on the Sunday, so everyone will have an extra hours sleep.

A spin will take place from 10am on Sunday morning, details to be arranged, any suggestions welcome. All Sunday spinners should check out of their respective rooms before cycling and arrangements have been made to use the leisure facilities on return from the cycling before heading back to Dublin.

More updates closer to the time.

Regards

Colm F.
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Colm Featherstone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diarmuid Donnelly, Louise Keane, Dave Murnane, Stefan Foster, Aisling Ni Neill, Rachel McCluskey, Carthach McCarthy, Tom McGovern

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #31056 by Diarmuid Donnelly
Replied by Diarmuid Donnelly on topic *** Orwell Wheelers Weekend Away ***
Update: Room has been cancelled.

If anyone is still looking for accommodation in Portlaoise for the Saturday night, I have a single room booked in a hotel just a two-minute walk from the Midlands Park. I no longer need the room, so if anyone would like to take it up before I cancel it, please message me for details.
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Diarmuid Donnelly.

More
4 years 6 months ago #31098 by Jim Davenport
Replied by Jim Davenport on topic *** Orwell Wheelers Weekend Away ***
Hi Colm Jim Davenport here ,I would to join the weekend away. I have a swag (which is an Australian sleeping bag with a mattress attached) and will sleep on the floor. I am I interested in sharing a room with other Male members. I am a bit of a Balladier and can bring a guitar if that is suitable.
Take care,
Jim

• Colm Featherstone
More
4 years 6 months ago #31100 by Colm Featherstone
Good man Jim, do you sing Waltzing Matilda. Your very welcome on the weekend but we will have to find you a bed, leave it with me.

• Colm Featherstone
More
4 years 6 months ago #31102 by Colm Featherstone
Jim give me a shout on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Colm Featherstone
More
4 years 5 months ago #31128 by Colm Featherstone
Good evening all.

Just to notify everyone of the final details for the weekend away. The plan is to leave the hotel from 10am sharp, we should have 4 groups with 10 to 12 in each group. I ask everyone with Garmin's to please load up the routes which are below.

We will be stopping for refreshments in Giltraps of Kinnity, they tell me they will have the fire lighting for us. ( Hopefully not for drying the clothes).

On arrival back at the hotel the bikes will be stored securely at the rear, beside the leisure centre, same place as last year.

As you know their is a leisure centre so bring your swim attire if you want to avail of the those facilities ( Watch out for Ann Horan with her binoculars :) )

Dinner is due to be served at 8pm in the Triog Restaurant, and if any person has dietary requirements please pm me. ( Mr T Wy... that means private message)

I believe we have a balladeer among us who will be bringing his guitar, so if anyone else is musically talented please feel free to bring along your instrument.

On Sunday at at time to be decided anyone who fancies another spin can head off and the hotel leisure facilities will be at their disposal on return.

That’s all folks, see you Saturday.

Colm F.

www.strava.com/routes/21993070
www.strava.com/routes/21992882
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stefan Foster, Rachel McCluskey

More
4 years 5 months ago #31136 by Joe Fitzpatrick
Replied by Joe Fitzpatrick on topic *** Orwell Wheelers Weekend Away ***
I have added these routes to the Orwell Route Library on Ride With GPS.
Members who download from here will get full turn by turn directions.

You can find these on RWGPS either:

Via the event on the calendar
Club Weekend Away

Or directly in the routes library
PL-099-1407-Cut-Wolftrap-Glendine

PL-104-1300-Cut-Wolftrap

Have a great weekend!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stefan Foster, Rachel McCluskey

• Colm Featherstone
More
4 years 5 months ago #31143 by Colm Featherstone
Just a quick note to persons going on the weekend away the currently forecasted weather is to be dry but very cold so please dress accordingly. Additionally can people with Garmin or other devices please download the following route which may come into play for weather reasons.

Thanks Joe Fitzpatrick for posing the other routes, maybe you could put this one up as well.

ridewithgps.com/routes/31361461
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stefan Foster

More
4 years 5 months ago #31144 by Joe Fitzpatrick
Replied by Joe Fitzpatrick on topic *** Orwell Wheelers Weekend Away ***
Ive added this to the RWGPS calendar
Club Weekend Away

And Ive copied the route into the route library
PL-099-0730-Kinnitty

Sunday morning should blow the cobwebs away

Have fun!