Orwell Weekend Away - Carlow - November 2021.

• Colm Featherstone
  • Colm Featherstone's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 8 months ago #35527 by Colm Featherstone
Orwell Weekend Away - Carlow - November 2021. was created by Colm Featherstone
Tom Mc Govern our social rep has asked that the following notice be posted.

Orwell Wheelers Weekend Away –Mount Wolseley Hotel & Spa Tullow Co. Carlow – November 6th 2021.

Just to give people notice of our rescheduled weekend away,

We are still heading to Tullow Co Carlow and staying at the magnificent Mount Wolseley Hotel & Spa.

We have two distinct cycle routes planned as follows:

• Tullow - Glenmalure – Return via Sliabh Mann & Aughavanagh - A good Challenging 90K

• Tullow – Borris – Bike the Barrow on return leg – A Leisurely 80K

For anyone who booked for last year 2020 their booking has been automatically rolled forward. However, you need to contact the Hotel to reconfirm your booking. This should be done as soon as possible.
There are still plenty of places for any additional members who wish to travel.

Saturday November 6th, booking under “Orwell Wheelers Cycling Club”.

Rates. Single Room 4 course Dinner B & B €149

Double / Twin Room Dinner B & B €218

Call 059 9180100, between 10am & 5.30pm, please be patient, you will get through.

I would advise any additional members thinking of travelling to book as soon as possible.

Regards

Colm F.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tomás MacUileagóid, Sue McDonagh, Luke GJ Potter, Stefan Foster, Cathy O'Brien, Peter McGrath, Tom McGovern, Gertrude Fitzpatrick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #35550 by Francis Brophy
Replied by Francis Brophy on topic Orwell Weekend Away - Carlow - November 2021.
Thanks Colm,

I have booked the hotel. What time are you planning to start the cycle on the Saturday? I may take the train to Carlow and spin over to Mt Wolseley.
Regards - Fran Brophy.

• Colm Featherstone
More
2 years 6 months ago #35865 by Colm Featherstone
Replied by Colm Featherstone on topic Orwell Weekend Away - Carlow - November 2021.
We have a great response to this event. If anyone else plans to join us I suggest you contact the hotel and make a booking now.

A few Red & Orange spinners are planning to make the trip via the Wicklow mountains, so if you fancy that call the hotel to make a booking. ( Arrangements will be made to transport their bags)

From Mount Wolseley their will be an 80k spin with a stop in Borris, and a 90k more testing spin with a stop in Glenmalure.

Hope you can make it, call the hotel if interested as final arrangements will be made by next weekend.

More
2 years 6 months ago #35879 by Joe Fitzpatrick
Replied by Joe Fitzpatrick on topic Orwell Weekend Away - Carlow - November 2021.
Note:

There will be no club Winter spin from Dundrum organised on the Sunday of the weekend away.

More
2 years 6 months ago #35880 by Aidan Hammond
Replied by Aidan Hammond on topic Orwell Weekend Away - Carlow - November 2021.
What time are you all meeting at the Hotel on Sat 6th for the Spins? Or is the spin on the Sunday and we just make our way down saturday evening? Thanks AIdan

• Colm Featherstone
More
2 years 6 months ago #35881 by Colm Featherstone
Replied by Colm Featherstone on topic Orwell Weekend Away - Carlow - November 2021.
Hi Aidan,

The plan is that the group going on the Glenmalure Spin will all be gone by 9.45am ( 95k - 1500m ), Man of the Ras , like yourself, will probably be on this one.

The second spin heading towards Borris, should all be departed by 10am, (80k - 800m).

So, for all of the above meet in Mt Wolsey Hotel Car-Park from 9.30am onwards.

I’m told a few Red & Orange spinners will head from Dundrum that morning and do lunch with group 1 above in Glenmalure Lodge before heading to Carlow in the afternoon. ( Still waiting to see some bookings from this cohort, … proof of the pudding… and all that)

Just to say that bearing in mind the time of year people heading to Glemalure should be very mindful of the distance and tough climbs after lunch before deciding on this route. We do want to be sending out search parties for riders.

Regards

Colm F.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aidan Hammond, Tom McGovern

More
2 years 6 months ago #35890 by Chris Connaughton
Replied by Chris Connaughton on topic Orwell Weekend Away - Carlow - November 2021.
Unfortunately the hotel have advised me that they do not have any more availability for the 6th . So if anyone who has booked and are unable to attend,  I am looking for accommodation .

More
2 years 6 months ago #35892 by Joe Fitzpatrick
Replied by Joe Fitzpatrick on topic Orwell Weekend Away - Carlow - November 2021.
Maybe there’s availability in the audax specific accommodation (bottom photo below). 
I won’t be using my bivvy bag that weekend 

Attachments:

More
2 years 6 months ago #35894 by Sarah Murphy
Replied by Sarah Murphy on topic Orwell Weekend Away - Carlow - November 2021.
Me too! Is it still possible to do the spin even if there's no possibility of staying? Thanks

More
2 years 6 months ago #35899 by Francis Brophy
Replied by Francis Brophy on topic Orwell Weekend Away - Carlow - November 2021.
Hi Chris,

Fran Brophy here. I have a single room booking for Mount Wolseley that I cant now take so you are welcome to take mine.

You can contact me at 087-9676604.

Cheers - Fran

More
2 years 6 months ago #35900 by Chris Connaughton
Replied by Chris Connaughton on topic Orwell Weekend Away - Carlow - November 2021.
Thanks Fran
I will call you
Chris

• Colm Featherstone
More
2 years 6 months ago #35901 by Colm Featherstone
Hi Sarah

I see Joan put a note on the Adventure cycling Whattsapp group saying she had a room already booked and was looking for someone to share with if u want to give her a shout.

Colm

More
2 years 5 months ago #35917 by Aidan Hammond
Replied by Aidan Hammond on topic Orwell Weekend Away - Carlow - November 2021.
Are we booking dinner for a certain time?

• Colm Featherstone
More
2 years 5 months ago #35918 by Colm Featherstone
Hi Aidan,

Like myself you probably got a mail from the Hotel this morning, these is no need to book meal times as we have a group booking arranged by Tom for dinner around 8pm I believe. Likewise, they will allocate us a slot after the cycle to use the pool facilities.

Regards

Colm
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aidan Hammond

More
2 years 5 months ago #35924 by Tom McGovern
Replied by Tom McGovern on topic Orwell Weekend Away - Carlow - November 2021.
There is a waiting list in operation by the hotel

The Hotel shall make every effort to accommodate anyone on the waiting list as there are invariably cancellations closer to the actual date.

• Colm Featherstone
More
2 years 5 months ago #35932 by Colm Featherstone
Follow me up to Carlow – 2021
The Orwell weekend away is upon and this is just a short note to point out what is happening etc etc.
Firstly, I believe everyone has been accommodated now which is great to hear
Getting there, whatever suits for the scenic route take the N81 via Blessington, Baltinglass, Rathvilly, Tullow, Hotel., otherwise M7/M9.
Starting times are as follows:
Glenmalure Route ( 92km – 1500m) - departing the Hotel Grounds at 9.30, complimentary Soup, Sandwiches, Tea Coffee, Biscuits will be served at the Glenmalure Lodge which is at about 50km. Wear the Orwell Kit
www.strava.com/routes/2889914159031485988
Bike by the Barrow Route ( 84KM – 750m) – departing the Hotel Grounds at 9.45, complimentary Soup, Steak Sandwiches, Irish Coffee will be served at Step House Hotel **** which is at about halfway. Wear the Orwell Kit.
www.strava.com/routes/2889903022523619876
We request that everyone travelling indicates which route they will be taking on the day by that we mean, I will be doing Glenmalure or I will be doing Bike by the Barrow, it does not mean “depends on whether my fit bit says I got enough deep sleep, or “ I will check what the Norwegians are saying about the weather in Aughavanagh”
We need to know your preference in order to arrange leaders and for the caterers in Glenmalure and the Chefs in Borris to know their numbers.
We have asked the Hotel to accommodate as many people as possible in the Leisure complex as due to Covid the numbers are restricted so between 5-6pm 25 people can attend.
PRINKS at 7pm - Dinner at 7.30 to 8 PM ( Any dietary requirement talk to Tom directly )
The Orwell tradition of splitting up knitting club members, and secret societies will be in operation for the dinner seatings. – Stick your musical instruments in the boot just in case.
Sunday Spin – Talk to Val.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shauna Whelan, Tom McGovern, Gertrude Fitzpatrick

More
2 years 5 months ago #35933 by Lorraine Donohoe
Replied by Lorraine Donohoe on topic Orwell Weekend Away - Carlow - November 2021.
I will be doing Bike by the Burrow

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #35934 by Peter McGrath
Replied by Peter McGrath on topic Orwell Weekend Away - Carlow - November 2021.
I will be doing the "Bike by Barrow" route.
Available to lead if required
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Peter McGrath.

More
2 years 5 months ago #35935 by Jillian Higgins
Replied by Jillian Higgins on topic Orwell Weekend Away - Carlow - November 2021.
Bike by the Barrow please. 

More
2 years 5 months ago #35936 by Mags O'Brien
Replied by Mags O'Brien on topic Orwell Weekend Away - Carlow - November 2021.
I will be doing Bike by the Barrow route.

Thank you
Mags

Time to create page: 0.335 seconds