More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #13273 by Dave Mc
1948 was created by Dave Mc
Thanks to Brian Mc for creating a new club memories and history section of the forum for anyone who wants to put their old photos, newspaper clippings, start lists, time sheets and whatever else on to.

I'll post lots more later when I get the time, but the first post for now is a copy of the original club constitution:

Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Dave Mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denis Gleeson, Brian Mc, Fergal Quinn, John Anslow, Stephen O'Shea, Ken Moloney

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #13278 by Louise Keane
Replied by Louise Keane on topic 1948
Thanks Dave, very interesting and great to have some club history:)

Did number 4 ever get changed? Or do all the Orwell women have to start looking for a new club;)

More
8 years 4 months ago #13280 by Aidan Hammond
Replied by Aidan Hammond on topic 1948
Dont mention the war! I was at the AGM back int he 80's when this became a major issue when a couple of women joined up!

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #13281 by Dave Mc
Replied by Dave Mc on topic 1948

Did number 4 ever get changed?

As far as I know the rules were changed to allow women join the club in the late 1980s or early 90s. I've heard second hand reports of the meeting where they discussed that, and I believe the vote was almost unanimously in favour but for one notable exception.

Or do all the Orwell women have to start looking for a new club;)

Since you mention it, there were a number of women associated with the club even in the early years, but they would have joined another newly formed club, the Antlers CC.

The first woman to compete in Orwell colours was Marie Eribo in '88 and '89- I'm not sure if the rules were changed before she joined though, I have a feeling that they were just ignored at the time and changed after the fact.

All of the above is second hand or hearsay, but some of the people who were actually there at the time do read this forum, so I'm sure one of them will correct me on the details soon enough!
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Dave Mc.

More
8 years 4 months ago #13293 by Dick O'Brien
Replied by Dick O'Brien on topic 1948
I plan on taking full advantage of Rule 22 before the new constitution is adopted.

No forum login? Mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Don't want to miss any forum posts? How to set up email notifications
Subscribe to the calendar: Hit "+" button at bottom of widget

Moderators: Dave Mc
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds