Recommended Events Please

More
6 years 5 months ago #24678 by Andrew Potts
Recommended Events Please was created by Andrew Potts
Hi Folks
Summer has gone and I'm reflecting on the events I have done and enjoyed 2017 and thinking of next year. I of course want to do something new and a few things I have enjoyed again.
I'm looking for recommendations of events that stretch from roughly March to October that are good value, friendly, nice routes, or challenges.etc, etc. If you can list maybe one or two ideas and a why. They do not have to be BIG events as I,m particularly interested in others clubs events as I do think the cycling club sportive's are often of the best quality.
I,m also interested in Audaxs or even just a great days cycling somewhere, I know I,m throwing a very wide net but generally looking for ideas of things to do.
So if you could suggest some, the time of year it took place and maybe even a why you liked it.
I shall start the ball rolling with couple and if we get a nice reply we might see if we can put it together as a list for next year.

Regards Andrew

Ring of Beara , 100 plus 140 K
May, just a well organised event, great scenery and the town made you very welcome.

Dromore CC Sportive 60 plus 110 K
25 June Really well organised, well marshaled, Tea Coffee on arrival, two routes over good roads, good climb to Slieve Coorb and amazing views. Ice Cream on return with BBQ and CW music. an hour up the motorway 15 Pounds.

Audax East Wicklow 200K
a fiver and no support Start Dundrum, Sally Gap then on to Carnew, Gorey and back along the coast to Bray and Dundrum. Just a lovely days cycling with a stunning change of scenery and generally quite roads. Plenty of places to stop and feed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gillian Baker

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #24686 by Ian Anderson
Replied by Ian Anderson on topic Recommended Events Please
This is another one I was looking at for next year and even to get a group together for it.
www.isleofmancc.com/Isle_of_Man_CC/IOMCC_Welcome.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Potts

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #24693 by Eric Davis
Replied by Eric Davis on topic Recommended Events Please
Mick Byrne 200 is a tough but really enjoyable one. Nice bit of climbing (2790m) for a 200 and goes through some of Wicklow's lesser known roads. Sorrentos do a great job organising and there's usually 20 + Orwells.

Defo one to cross off if you haven't done before.

www.audaxireland.org/events-calendar/gaz...ents/mick-byrne-200/

Don't forget also the 12 peaks challenge! Best spin of the year organised by our own Gar Connolly around mid June. According to Gar its the toughest one in Ireland and I'd tend to agree. 117k long and 3400 meters of climbing. It's tough but there lots of ice-cream so totally worth it.
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Eric Davis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Potts, Evan Hughes

More
6 years 5 months ago #24694 by Evan Hughes
Replied by Evan Hughes on topic Recommended Events Please
I second that on the Mick Byrne!

It is very manageable once you pace yourself over the day! There are also shorter versions.

This years was my first "sportive" type event and it is definitely one that I will do again!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Potts, Eric Davis

More
6 years 5 months ago #24695 by Gillian Baker
Replied by Gillian Baker on topic Recommended Events Please
Hi Andrew,

I did the Man (Woman) of Sperrin this year and I thoroughly enjoyed the 100km route around the Sperrin mountains. Benbradagh climb, 4km into the spin would give Torr Head a run for its money. Locally run and all funds raised go back into the local GAA community. See little blog here...
lovevelorides.blogspot.ie/2017/06/woman-man-of-sperrin.html

I also really enjoyed Bray Wheeler's Paddy Martin Memorial, the 120km route took me on roads I hadn't experienced before around Wicklow. Again, well organised, super food stop during and post ride.

Murphy Survey's Cycle for Crumlin Children's Hospital, a 105km route is another good one, really enjoyed this, super atmosphere and nice route too.

Ferns Charity Cycle in July was another well organised event and the Tour de Kilkenny was great craic!! Both very well organised and only down the road(ish).

G

More
6 years 2 months ago #25177 by Rory Rutledge
Replied by Rory Rutledge on topic Recommended Events Please
Just bumping this a bit.

I've not done the Giant's Causeway before, but hear it's a good one. Saturday 8th September this year as far as I can work out. Accommodation is already booking up - An Caislean was suggested to me, but its website says that it's fully booked out already. I've booked into Marine Hotel for the 2 nights.

Will a group be heading up to Buncrana for the North Pole CC Tour of Inishowen? It's in the Cycling Ireland Leisure Calendar as Sunday 15th July (but in previous years, it's been the previous weekend?).

More
6 years 2 months ago #25178 by Gillian Baker
Replied by Gillian Baker on topic Recommended Events Please
Hi Rory,

I got a B&B last year up in Ballycastle, its location was literally around the corner from the starting line, really nice place and the lady of the house cooked what I wanted the day of the sportive (porridge, scrambled eggs etc.). A typical breakfast; cereals, fruits, yogurts and the Irish fry. I would highly recommend you give them a ring directly to compare prices to the Marine Hotel (I'm sure well over-priced given its star rating and the weekend that's in it).

Tara House B&B
14 Church Road, Ballycastle
T: +44 7706 231411

Heading into the after party on the Saturday night, I got a taxi down the town and ordered one for on the way back :-)

Couldn't say anything bad about this place!!

Enjoy it, G
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Potts, Rory Rutledge

More
6 years 2 months ago #25194 by Eugène SKIL
Replied by Eugène SKIL on topic Recommended Events Please
The Tour of the Glens is supposed to be a cracker. All the people up north talked about it. It's May 6th and the length is about 200km.
Yeh I'd like to do the Tour of Inishowen again - there's two that one and the Inishowen 100. Both are great.

More
6 years 2 months ago #25196 by Andrew Potts
Replied by Andrew Potts on topic Recommended Events Please
I have the Glens and Billy Kerr plus the two Inishowen ones they go clockwise and anti clockwise so you should really do both :)

More
6 years 2 months ago #25197 by Andrew Potts
I have the Glens and Billy Kerr plus the two Inishowen ones they go clockwise and anti clockwise so you should really do both :)

More
6 years 2 months ago #25198 by Eugène SKIL
Replied by Eugène SKIL on topic Recommended Events Please

Are you doing the Glens this year Andrew? It'd be great if Billy Kerr was the earlier weekend in August like in 2015

Another classic is the Tour of Mayo 200. It clashes with the Mick Byrne. Annagh Wheelers organise it. It starts in Ballyhappiness.

More
6 years 2 months ago #25229 by Andrew Potts
Have the Glens on my list but finding a date for the Billy Kerr has been tricky have not seen it on the CI website.
I will add the Tour of Mayo Eugene and I have the other one Explore Mayo covered

More
6 years 2 months ago #25263 by Barry Martin
Replied by Barry Martin on topic Re:Recommended Events Please
Also highly recommend the Lough Key Sportive organised by Curlieu Wheelers in Boyle Co Roscommon. Beautiful route, great climbs and a fabulous feed afterwards.

Mick Byrne also an annual staple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.267 seconds