Bike Security @ The cafe

More
4 years 7 months ago #30890 by Simon Smith
Bike Security @ The cafe was created by Simon Smith

Todays antics in Swords Village - Tom:

The Bike Snap incident Swords cafe Tuesday spin. Very lucky i still have my new carbon bike above. We were alerted by two elderly ladies that they had spotted a young lad heading off on a road bike. Our anti snatch members were immediately mobilised. Lorcan followed the lad's route while Val did a wider sweep of the area. Denis coordinated communications. Andrew kindly dealt with hospitality issues. Bike was recovered by Lorcan . We may not be so luck again so i would urge all future Spins to put anti snatch measures in place. Great support from all today for which i am very grateful particularly the anti snatch squad

Some cafes are great, bike racks in a courtyard in full view of the Orwells busily slurping half soy half milk decaf mochaccinos (Hollywood Cafe). Others are a bit dubious with bikes stashed in a lane out of sight of the green team (Wicklow Town anyone?). Bringing a hefty great Kryptonite is a no go for club spins but that doesn't mean we have to make it easy for the little darlings.

So here are some lock options, I invite you all to add your suggestions and pros/cons for them. It doesn't have to be Fort Knox secure just enough to be "anti-snatch".

Mine:
Kryptonite R2 Retractor - 12 Pounds on Amazon
+ Can surround two bikes comfortably
+ Light at 68g
+ No keys, you can tell your mate the code to unlock if needed
- Lowest security, takes about 3 mins to "pick", easily cut
- Not for those that forget their credit card pin all the time

A popular choice:
Hiplok Z Lok - 19 Pounds on Amazon
+ 80g
+ Very compact for pockets
+ Bright colours = good deterrent
- Medium security
- Short reach (you may only be able to snare your wheel)

-=:::=-

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #30891 by Simon Smith
Replied by Simon Smith on topic Bike Security @ The cafe
From Simon K:
Abus 2502 - 18 Pounds on Amazon
+ Similar to the R2 above (3 digits instead of 4)
- Similar to the R2 above

More
4 years 7 months ago #30892 by Simon Smith
Replied by Simon Smith on topic Bike Security @ The cafe
A heavier option:
Safeman - 15 Pounds on SJS
+ Probably a tad more secure than the rest
+ No code to remember
- 130g instead of ~70g so maybe not a weight weenies favourite

If we could get to a point where 10 of us arrive at a stop and all 10 have a lock the entangled mass of carbon and alu won't be very appetising for a would be thief.

PS: Don't leave your shiny new Garmin/Wahoo sitting there asking to be pilfered.

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds