Introduction to Audax

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #37547 by Joe Fitzpatrick
Introduction to Audax was created by Joe Fitzpatrick
With many new riders joining the club, the following may be of interest.

WHAT IS AN AUDAX. 

“Audax is a form of long-distance cycling – riders strive to complete lengthy and often arduous routes within specified time limits”.

An Audax is a single stage unsupported event of 200km or more. 

HOW DOES AN AUDAX WORK  

At the start, each rider is given a card (known as a brevet card) and a route sheet. Riders follow the route sheet (or a gpx version of the route on a cycling computer). Along the route each rider must pass a series of controls (checkpoints). Controls open and close based on min and max average speed (typically 15kph and 30kph). Traditionally riders got their brevet card stamped at each control validating that the point had been reached in good time. Nowadays riders demonstrate proof of passage by obtaining a time stamped till receipt from a shop at the control. (Sometimes a time stamped photo on a WhatsApp group is used as an alternative).  

AUDAX IS NON-COMPETITIVE

The goal is to reach each control between the specified opening and closing times. This means that a rider traveling faster than 30kph would have to wait for a control to open. (That has never been something I have ever had to worry about). Similarly a rider traveling slower than 15kph will arrive at a control after it has closed (resulting in a DNF for the event).For many audaxers, maintaining a pace of 20+ kph means that they reach controls when they are open.  It also means they have built a buffer of time which allows them to take a break for coffee, food and a water bottle refill.  In the case of overnight or multi-day audaxes, there may be time for a short sleep!  

AUDAX CULTURE. 

“The culture of audax prizes self-reliance.   There are no support vehicles (indeed, external support is expressly prohibited in the rules) and if you go off course or experience a mechanical, you are expected to take responsibility for finding your own way home and making your own repairs on the road”.
While riders may travel in a group, "no rider can be considered as group leader". 

Also known as Randonneuring, audaxing is governed internationally by Audax Club Parisien (ACP). The local governing body is Audax Ireland (AI). 

“Audax distances begin where most recreational cyclists leave off, at the 200km mark.  From there, the distances ascend through the full super randonneur series of 200, 300, 400 and 600km to multi-day rides of 1000km and more, including the most famed audax event of all, the 1200km Paris-Brest-Paris” (PBP).  

PBP is held every 4 years.  All 13 Orwell entrants completed PBP in 2019, taking the ACP’s prize for the club that achieved a 100% finish rate with the greatest number of riders.  There is an Orwell group looking at doing the event in 2023. 

Obviously the ability to complete the distance, within the time allowed, is a requirement for audaxing.   Fortunately,  building the required fitness is relatively straightforward and a well understood process. (To facilitate this, Leonard Kaye runs spins each year, usually in the run up to the Orwell 200 in March). 

However, Audaxing is about much more than just completing a distance. Many routes take in spectacular scenery, places of interest or heritage sites, via smaller, less busy L-roads, lanes and boreens. This can mean a dearth of smooth tarmac for long sections and there can be considerable distances – several hours’ worth of cycling – between villages and shops (where supplies can be replenished).

The “self sufficient” nature of Audaxing requires:
  1. Basic navigation skills – e.g. the ability to follow a routesheet, or the ability to download and follow a gpx track on a cycling computer (and inevitability - the ability to follow a routesheet when your cycling computer “dies“ halfway through an event).  

2. Basic mechanical skills - Bringing multiple spare tubes, pump and/or gas, a spare link and chain break tool and knowing what to do with them. I bring a spare tyre and, on longer events, a derailleur hanger and spare gear and brake cables. 

3. Planning & preparation. Deciding what to wear and what additional clothing to bring, and your optimum bike setup. Apart from the bike itself, considerations also include lights, electronics (and their power source / charging) and bike bags.  

4. Fueling.  Eating and drinking regularly on the bike, and knowing when/where you will stop for food or water (which may not always be at a control).

5. Self awareness. Knowing when to stop and rest (or even abandon an event).

AI run “calendar” events. There are several of varying distance and elevation every month, all over the country. Entry cost is usually €5  (and about another fiver if you want a medal for finishing). 

Many of the AI routes can be ridden as a “Permanent”. i.e. on a date of your choosing - agreed between you and the route organiser / administrator.  Permanents count towards some AI awards but are not recorded by the ACP. 

There are about a dozen Orwells who have completed more than one Audax in 2022 (2021 was similar). 

If audaxing sounds like your thing - reach out to us for more information. If you are already able to do a 200km ride - definitely talk to us.   We can recommend various permanents you might try before the weather gets more challenging.  
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Joe Fitzpatrick. Reason: Corrected formatting
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonard Kaye

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #37563 by Ray O'Neill
Replied by Ray O'Neill on topic Introduction to Audax
Great overview Joe, thanks for sharing all that info. I’m considering PBP next year however I think i’ve left it a tad late. I know have a 200km in me but I think would think 400km or even 300km would be a bridge too far for me this year. Do you think it’s possible to still so if I can complete only a 200km this year and aim for 300, 400 next spring and 600km sometime next summer? And what are the chances of getting a ticket based on only completing a 200k?

Would love to get your thoughts on this?
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Ray O'Neill.

More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #37564 by Joe Fitzpatrick
Replied by Joe Fitzpatrick on topic Introduction to Audax
Hi Ray

Let’s separate the issues. 
  1. The PBP entry process 
  2. My thoughts on your suggestion 

The PBP entry process 

“Pre registration” opens in the new year based on the longest BRM (audax) you did in the 2022 season (up to 31 Oct). So riders with a 1000+ can pre reg early Jan
a 600 can pre reg late Jan
a 400 can pre reg early Feb
a 300 can pre reg late Feb
a 200 can pre reg Mar

Registration proper typically  opens late May.   If the field limit hasn’t been reached, this is open to all – regardless of whether you’ve done a BRM event the previous year.

Then to qualify for PBP, all riders must complete a Super Randomneur series of BRMs (200, 300, 400, 600km) in 2023 before early July.  (You don’t have to wait to register to start these). 

Could you get in?

I understand the field size is being increased. So you might be able to register.   (But you probably won’t get a desirable start time). 

What are your chances of finishing? 

“Never say never” but you have to be pragmatic. 

With determination you could build the fitness required. However, as Valerie Plant would remind us in 2019; “You don’t ride PBP with your legs. You ride it with your head”.   I think the group in 2019 all had at least a 400 in the previous year.  We also had the added advantage of Dave Mc’s experience and guidance. 

Do you have the time to get the road miles done between now and end June?

Have you done many long rides in Winter?  

Are you prepared for that this Winter?

What would I recommend?

Start by signing up for the YOLA 200 on 14-Sep. It’s a nice route without much climbing.   That would give you a BRM 200 in 2022. It will also answer many of your questions (and ask you many more). 

What do I  think ? 

Forget 2023.   Start doing audaxes.  Have some fun.  Build fitness and skills. Figure out what you enjoy and what you want to do for the challenge.   And if PBP still appeals, go for it in 2027. 

What do I really think ?

Probably contravenes forum rules

Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Joe Fitzpatrick. Reason: Fix typos
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray O'Neill

More
1 year 6 months ago #37567 by Ray O'Neill
Replied by Ray O'Neill on topic Introduction to Audax
Hi Joe,

Thanks a million for taking the time for writing such an in-dept reply. Very useful information.

Good question on winter spins - I usually move indoors (Zwift) in winter so I might find training outdoors for such long distance a bit out of reach.

Thanks for the advice and I will signup for the YOLA 200 as my inaugural audax to get a feel for it and target some bigger spins next year. So I'll park the PBP idea for now and focus on getting comfortable with the ins and outs of audaxes.

Finally, apologies for the name mixup - I saw the the name above the chat about and the threw me off :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joe Fitzpatrick

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds