First race 2018

More
6 years 3 months ago #25063 by Rory Fogarty
First race 2018 was created by Rory Fogarty
Hi all!

I have a personal goal of entering my first race in 2018 - whether it is a club race or otherwise, I would just like to try it out!

Would you have any advice on where and when I would need to sign up to take part in the next internal racing leagues to take place?

Cheers,

Rory

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #25065 by Luke GJ Potter
Replied by Luke GJ Potter on topic First race 2018
The hamper races might be a good starting point.

We'll try to run an intro to racing session before the club league starts, to give new riders the skills, and to refresh the skills of more experienced riders.
The main skills are riding with riders close to you in corners.

The main training sessions you should look at are 30 seconds hard, and 30 seconds easy, Ticknock and Cruagh rd. are good climbs for this.

If you don't fancy the crits, or road races, the Club League offers five Time Trials (two 16km TTs, a 40km and a hill climb).

SERC, in Wicklow, have a four race TT series in March, I think you'll only need a Limited Competition Licence for these.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gillian Baker, Rory Fogarty

More
6 years 3 months ago #25069 by David Swift
Replied by David Swift on topic First race 2018
As Luke said the Christmas Hamper race is probably the best time to give it a go. As it's the winter know one is on top form making it a little bit easier to keep up with the stronger experienced guys.

You could also try track racing. there's a league which runs from April in Sundrive. As the racing takes place on a closed circuit it can be a great place to learn racing skills without the complication of traffic and big bunches that will be encountered in road races. Limited competition license and track accreditation required and bikes are available to rent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory Fogarty

More
6 years 3 months ago #25075 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic First race 2018
As well as the hamper race next weekend, the club league each year is designed as an introduction to racing for club members. As Luke points out, there's plenty of variety in the type of races we run, from TTs to crits and road races.

See the links under League in the menu across the top of the site for more details: www.orwellwheelers.org/orwell-league

You can sign up for the league when you renew your membership for 2018, or even after you renew via the same link.

More
6 years 3 months ago #25093 by Rory Fogarty
Replied by Rory Fogarty on topic First race 2018
Cheers guys this is brilliant info - would love to do an intro to racing course and give the lot (TT,crit and road) a shot!

The main training sessions you should look at are 30 seconds hard, and 30 seconds easy, Ticknock and Cruagh rd. are good climbs for this.

Thanks for this Luke, very useful!

More
6 years 2 months ago #25146 by Michael Monahan
Replied by Michael Monahan on topic First race 2018
Hi guys,

As I am also new to the racing scene and want to give the club league a go I was just wondering do I need to have a competitive license from cycling Ireland or is this just for road racing?

Thanks,
Michael.

More
6 years 2 months ago #25147 by Gordon Byrne
Replied by Gordon Byrne on topic First race 2018
Hi Michael you need a limited competition license from CI. Regards Gordon.

More
6 years 2 months ago #25149 by Michael Monahan
Replied by Michael Monahan on topic First race 2018
Ok, thanks Gordon!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon Byrne

More
6 years 2 months ago #25255 by Rory Fogarty
Replied by Rory Fogarty on topic First race 2018
Took a look around and couldn't see a date for the start of the club league for 2018 - anyone know when it usually starts?

Cheers!

Rory

More
6 years 2 months ago #25256 by Balazs Galambos
Replied by Balazs Galambos on topic First race 2018
Hi,normally when the time changes for summer.this year 25th of march,so i presume beginning of april latest start.

More
6 years 2 months ago #25260 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic First race 2018
The opening round will be 5 April this year. We've got a provisional calendar, but still waiting on the other leagues to confirm about clashes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valdis Andersons, Terry Reilly, Rory Fogarty, Balazs Galambos

More
6 years 1 month ago #25296 by Rory Fogarty
Replied by Rory Fogarty on topic Re:First race 2018

The opening round will be 5 April this year. We've got a provisional calendar, but still waiting on the other leagues to confirm about clashes.

That brilliant thanks Brian!

Would their typically be groups that would train together for the league leading up to April? And if not, think people might be interested in making such a group for interval/Sprint training?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

More
6 years 1 month ago #25328 by Rory Fogarty
Replied by Rory Fogarty on topic Re:First race 2018
Couple quick questions on the club league;

1) I hear it mostly takes place on Thursday evenings in Blessington. If this is the case would people often carpool?

2) To participate in the internal club league do you need club gear?

Cheers

Rory

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.265 seconds