Re:Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #32129 by Dave Mc
The Club league was due to have started last week, but as with all sporting and social life is currently on hold- and that’s likely to remain the case for the foreseeable future.

In an effort to get something going and not lose out on the entire season we are going to have a go at moving the league to virtual racing, starting from this Thursday evening at 7pm

The program is Road Grand Tours ( www.rgtcycling.com ), the course is the 8Bar Crit circuit, and the distance is 30 laps for a race of approximately 45-50 minutes. Unlike the races currently being run on Zwift this will be a private race for club members only. To sign up you will need to set up an account with RGT, and then register for the race by this link:
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

You can race this event with the free membership, so you won’t need to pay for another subscription to try it out, but unfortunately you will need some equipment. You will need 1) either a smart trainer or classic trainer with Powermeter, and 2) a reasonably modern computer/laptop/tablet, and 3) a reasonably up to date phone. I know that means that some of the people who are currently using Zwift won’t be able to use this, and the people who aren’t able to use Zwift are still shut out altogether, but hopefully enough people will be able to give it a go to make it worth our while.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Louise Keane. Reason: Adding link , added time
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, John Latham, Brian Mc, BarryR, Gavin Dodd, Louise Keane, Fergal Quinn, Ian Anderson, Michael Monahan, Darran Kearney, Barry Greene, Shaun Kelly, Jonathan McKeown

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #32130 by Dave Mc
Replied by Dave Mc on topic Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
I’d like to emphasise that this is just trying things out to see how they go, if it doesn’t work or people don’t like it we’ll drop it, if it goes well we will run with it and work things into it like categories and handicapping.

In the meantime if anyone has any questions, opinions or advice please post them in this thread and I’ll do my best to answer them.

More
3 years 11 months ago #32131 by Arek Pierozynski
Replied by Arek Pierozynski on topic Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
It's a good idea to have a bit of fun during lock down bit there is too much difference in power reading from turbo to turbo to go into such details as handicap and so on, I believe. Definitely there shouldn't be any points awarded for this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc

More
3 years 11 months ago #32132 by Dave Mc

It's a good idea to have a bit of fun during lock down bit there is too much difference in power reading from turbo to turbo to go into such details as handicap and so on, I believe.

Of course, and a bigger difference between individual’s weighing scales and a bigger difference again between the way each rider uses them, but they are all points in favour of handicapping rather than against it.

Definitely there shouldn't be any points awarded for this.

As I said in the second post, this is just trying things out to see how they work. If it goes well we will see what we do from there, if it doesn’t then we’ll leave it.

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #32133 by Aidan Collins
Replied by Aidan Collins on topic Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
Great idea Dave
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Aidan Collins.

More
3 years 11 months ago #32134 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
Good idea Dave. Is this only open to those who entered the club league in real life?

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.

More
3 years 11 months ago #32135 by Dave Mc

Is this only open to those who entered the club league in real life?

For the moment at least it’s open to any club members who have the appropriate equipment. I’d encourage anyone who has been using Zwift, Rouvy etc to give it a go and then give us your thoughts.

If it turns into a success and we end up making a more formal thing of it we’ll revisit it then, but for the mo we’ll just take it one week at a time and see how it works- and how real world circumstances play out of course.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BarryR

More
3 years 11 months ago #32136 by Dave Mc
I’d also definitely encourage anyone who has never raced and is unlikely to race in the real world to give it a go. You can’t crash, can’t get lost, won’t have to cycle home on your own after getting dropped, and if you’re outside of the top few placings no one will even notice how badly you’ve done!

More
3 years 11 months ago #32137 by Darran Kearney
Replied by Darran Kearney on topic Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
For those that think online racing is just a gimmick, give it a try. As soon as the race starts you forget about all the issues and get into race mode chase pixels.

Don't worry too much about weight doping, mis-calibrated power meters or accuracy of different trainers etc. Once in the race things will break up and you'll always have someone to race against.

I haven't raced on RGT yet but there are differences to how racing works on Zwift. On RGT you'll see a graph showing how much you are drafting. The system will also auto break into corners. So unlike Zwift where you just keep the power down, it looks like you may be better easing off the power into corners and putting it down out of them more like you would in real life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Declan Quigley, Fergal Quinn

More
3 years 11 months ago #32142 by Carthach McCarthy
Replied by Carthach McCarthy on topic Re:Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April

The Club league was due to have started last week, but as with all sporting and social life is currently on hold- and that’s likely to remain the case for the foreseeable future.

In an effort to get something going and not lose out on the entire season we are going to have a go at moving the league to virtual racing, starting from this Thursday evening.

The program is Road Grand Tours ( www.rgtcycling.com ), the course is the 8Bar Crit circuit, and the distance is 30 laps for a race of approximately 45-50 minutes. Unlike the races currently being run on Zwift this will be a private race for club members only. To sign up you will need to set up an account with RGT, and then register for the race by this link:
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

You can race this event with the free membership, so you won’t need to pay for another subscription to try it out, but unfortunately you will need some equipment. You will need 1) either a smart trainer or classic trainer with Powermeter, and 2) a reasonably modern computer/laptop/tablet, and 3) a reasonably up to date phone. I know that means that some of the people who are currently using Zwift won’t be able to use this, and the people who aren’t able to use Zwift are still shut out altogether, but hopefully enough people will be able to give it a go to make it worth our while.

Aw, looks great and the club league was what I was most looking forward to this year. But it clashes with the irish ladies TTT on zwift which I just signed up for.

When I get sick of trying to cling on to those I'll swap over!

Thanks,
Carthach

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

More
3 years 11 months ago #32150 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic Re:Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
If you get lapped can you try to stay with the group again? More than once?

Asking for a friend.....

More
3 years 11 months ago #32152 by Dave Mc
Replied by Dave Mc on topic Re:Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April

If you get lapped can you try to stay with the group again? More than once?

Asking for a friend.....

Yes, that’s no problem. Also fine to sit back into the bunch if you lap them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BarryR

More
3 years 11 months ago #32159 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic Re:Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
I'm going to try something during the online club race this evening that I may come to regret. I'm going to livestream my race screen. That will allow club members to watch the race (well, watch me in the race).

I'll use Discord to stream it, so you'll need to be logged in to Discord to watch it. That will also allow you to hear any race talking - although I expect that riders will be working too hard to talk most of the time. I haven't streamed like this before so this evening is a bit of an experiment.

If you have a Discord account already then just log in as normal. If you don't have a Discord account yet then follow the instructions in my earlier post here: orwellwheelers.org/forum/racing/7717-set...-the-club-race#32157

You won't need a RGT account to watch the livestream. Just Discord.

Log in to Discord before the race start at 7.00pm. When the stream is available in Discord you'll see a red "Live" icon beside my name. Click on my name and you should get an option to join the stream.

The race is a crit around a short pan flat aerodrome circuit. I'm pretty certain I'm not going to be at the front, but you should see the front group regularly as they fly past me - again.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Louise Keane, Fergal Quinn

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #32165 by Dave Mc
Replied by Dave Mc on topic Re:Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
Thanks all who gave that a go, and particularly to Barry for live-streaming it. I thought it went very well, but will be interested to hear everyone else’s thoughts on it.

Placings that I got were:
1, Luke G,
2, Ian D,
3, Dave Mc,
4, Michael M,
5, Darran K,
6, Martyn H,
-1 lap
7, Fionn S,
8, Dmitri G,
9, Brian M,
10, Paul K,
11, Jules C,
12, Ken O,
13, Peadar C,
14, Dick O,
15, Barry R,
16, Dave M,
17, Fergal Q,
18, Gillian M,
19, Zobe K.

25 starters, 19 finishers.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Dave Mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc, BarryR, Louise Keane, Dave Murnane, Paul Kane, Fergal Quinn, Ken O'Neill, Zoheb Khan

More
3 years 11 months ago #32166 by Fergal Quinn
Replied by Fergal Quinn on topic Re:Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
Cheers for organizing.

I think it’s a good idea but I had issues with the apps and am interested to hear if anyone else had problems. At the start it said the race was starting in 30 seconds but started straight away. Then around lap 10 the iPad app seemed to lose connection and I came to a stop. The phone app seemed to keep going but then it stopped and then iPad started working. It was fine for the rest of the race but just on the iPad.

I’m guessing it’s my phone but it’s a pity it needs both apps to work.

More
3 years 11 months ago #32167 by Paul Kane
Replied by Paul Kane on topic Re:Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
Thanks for organizing Dave.
Luckily, unlike Fergal I didn’t have any technical issues.
Took a couple laps to get in to the swing of it vs Zwift, but then thought it was really good. I definitely liked that you could free wheel for a few seconds without going flying out the back of the group (the way you would in Zwift). Also just nice to be racing against names I actually know.
I’d definitely be interested in doing more of these.

More
3 years 11 months ago #32168 by Darran Kearney
Replied by Darran Kearney on topic Re:Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
Hi Fergal,

Are you using the Ipad as the screen app? When you say the phone app stopped do you mean it was no longer reading your power etc but it was still displaying your power on the screen app?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Fergal Quinn

More
3 years 11 months ago #32169 by Darran Kearney
Replied by Darran Kearney on topic Re:Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
I recorded my race this evening if anyone wants to have a nosey and see what it's all about.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Brian Mc, Louise Keane, Dave Murnane, Ken O'Neill, Shaun Kelly, Zoheb Khan

More
3 years 11 months ago #32170 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
I had to borrow my housemate's phone to join (and delete a few wedding photos to free up some space), but once I got it going it was smooth.

'Enjoyed' is a term thrown about a bit too much for me, but having a race event certainly motivated me to do something vaguely constructive with my evening.

I'd definitely like to see more of these. Seemed like it was hammer down from the start so I never saw the front, but I like the cornering aspect - and I'll like it even more once I get the hang of it. Length was about right for that sort of effort. It's a different set of skills from a physical race, looking forward to seeing how they implement the physics of climbing.

PS I thought I was only lapped by 4 people, but I must've been cross-eyed when the other two passed me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Darran Kearney

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #32171 by Zoheb Khan
Replied by Zoheb Khan on topic Re:Club League on RGT, Thursday 16th April
Thanks for organizing. I need to get a hang on the corners. The feel was much better with the drafting and the cornering.
Would there be categories for beginners or amateurs by any chance?
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Zoheb Khan. Reason: More relevant content

Time to create page: 0.329 seconds