Club League 2021 Update

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #34388 by Luke Ginnell
Club League 2021 Update was created by Luke Ginnell
Hi all,

I've stepped into the role of club league rep for 2021 and I thought it was about time we gave an update on the league this year.

It hardly needs to be mentioned that current circumstances are preventing us from making any concrete plans for racing on the road. At the moment we're watching the situation closely but as I'm sure most can appreciate, it would be a pointless exercise to start scheduling league rounds when we don't know if restrictions will continue for another 4 or 14 weeks.

Rest assured there is every intention of providing as full a league as possible, though what form that takes and when, we'll have to wait and see. In that regard, I will look into the possibility of making league entry free for everyone and refunding those who have already paid. In light of another potentially very reduced league calendar, I am keen to ensure people don't feel short-changed. That's something to be addressed at a later date, once we know how much road racing we will get.

In the meantime, I am going to begin a 6-stage virtual club league, which is open to all members. The first round will be this Thursday, 18th Feb, and run to March 25th. Hopefully from that point it will be possible to make more concrete plans for the league outdoors.

The virtual league will have a timed General Classification, a Points Classification and a KOM classification, as well as the Women's, Youth Classifications, etc., that would normally be part of the league.

The first 3 rounds will take place on Zwift and will all be Time Trials. This is aimed at setting up a GC battle for the remaining 3 rounds, which will be races over a variety of parcours, likely to take place on RGT racing. The TTs will also help categorise the peloton into Scratch, Limit, etc, for the road races.

I will start registration threads for each round in the Racing (Private) section of the forum. On Zwift you will be racing in the same events as the general public so the registration threads will be how we keep track of who is entered. If your name is not on the registration thread, you are not in the race.

More details on registration, results, points, rules, classifications etc will be provided in each individual thread.

Here's the 6-stage league as we are planning to run it:

Round 1 - Zwift TT, 17.6km Tempus Fugit, Event: "Hudik Triathlon Time Trial" - Thurs 18 Feb
Round 2 - Zwift TT, 8km Bologna TT, Event TBC - Thurs 25 Feb
Round 3 - Alpe Du Zwift challenge, a solo TT up the Alpe Du Zwift, times will be taken from Strava, you can complete the effort any time from Monday March 1st to Sunday March 7th.
Round 4 - RGT racing, course TBC - Thurs March 11th
Round 5 - RGT racing, course TBC - Thurs March 18th
Round 6 - RGT racing, course TBC - Thurs March 25th

The first round is uncategorised/un-handicapped and your time will count only towards the General Classification. No points or KOM awarded. Every subsequent round will be based on the usual club league categories (Limit, Semi-Limit, Semi-Scratch, Scratch) and will see points up for grabs.

Please also bear in mind that even if you don't use Zwift, it's worth entering the first round. Those who don't wish to pay a subscription can avail of Zwift's free trial, which gives you a free 25km each month, thus allowing you to compete in the 17.6km TT.

I would therefore encourage all club members to enter at least the first round, no matter what your level or general interest in racing. Shortly I'll post the registration thread for Round 1. Please ensure to enter there if you wish to take part.

While virtual racing doesn't suit everyone, given the circumstances this format is the best for the short-term. Fingers-crossed, we'll be back on the road sooner rather than later.

>> Link to registration thread (you must be logged-in to the forum to access): www.orwellwheelers.org/forum/racing-priv...-registration-thread <<

Thanks,

Luke
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Luke Ginnell. Reason: Adding link to registration thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Twomey, John Latham, Brian Mc, Stephen McNally, Dick O'Brien, Dave Murnane, Fergal Quinn, Luke GJ Potter, Gary Somers, Donal Arundel, Michael Monahan, Darran Kearney, Ian Devlin, Barry Greene, Andrew Ryan, Shaun Kelly

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #34412 by Stephen McNally
Replied by Stephen McNally on topic Club League 2021 Update
Hi Luke,

I'm not free on Thursday evening.. Would it be ok to ride a Tempus Fugit TT over the weekend, and send you the results?

Thanks,
Stephen.

More
3 years 2 months ago #34414 by Luke Ginnell
Replied by Luke Ginnell on topic Club League 2021 Update
Hi Stephen,

Would be happy to accommodate people in that regard. But if possible could you enter an event that takes place before Thursday 6pm, rather than after?

If you waited until the weekend it would mean adding your time long after the classification was done, which is a bit messy. Even Friday would be better if possible.

Looking through Zwift companion it seems there are 3 or 4 events set in Tempus Fugit between now and Thursday 6pm. There's one tomorrow at 7PM, which might be handy.

Either way, just enter your name in the registration thread with the details of the event you're going to do (when you know it) and I'll make sure you're included!

More
3 years 2 months ago #34429 by Alan Hickey
Replied by Alan Hickey on topic Club League 2021 Update
Luke, I’ll drop out of this tonight. Partly because I just remembered my power metre has been dropping out on Zwift a lot and partly because I remembered I’m in no fit shape for this!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luke Ginnell

More
3 years 2 months ago #34442 by Louise Keane
Replied by Louise Keane on topic Club League 2021 Update
Hi Luke
Are all the league races going to be at 6pm? Not a chance that many of us who still have to commute would make it home in time and be on zwift to race:(

Are there no 7pm races? If it doesn’t suit the majority of people that’s fine - slim chance only that I would even make 7.

Thanks
Louise
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jules De Meester, Darran Kearney

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #34449 by Luke Ginnell
Replied by Luke Ginnell on topic Club League 2021 Update
Hi Louise,

We're starting at 18:20 this week, but obviously I'm keen to accommodate as many people as possible. The more the merrier!

The good thing about Zwift TTs is the uniformity of conditions, so if you can't make the specific event mentioned, you can just enter another event of the same type and I'll take your time from that (ie, any TT event at any time using the same course). A couple of people did this for Round 1, for example.

If you'd like to enter Round 1 I'd be more than happy to take your time if you wanted to do a Tempus Fugit TT event this week and send me the link to the results. Similarly, if you can't make the prescribed 18:20 Bologna TT this week (www.zwift.com/events/view/1793888), please feel free to do another TT event using the same course.

To add as well, if anyone else wishes to do the TTs retrospectively, please feel free and just send me on the results. It's no problem at all.

Next week's round can be done at any time you like from Monday to Sunday, which hopefully gives people more freedom.

The later RGT racing rounds I'll try to schedule for 19:00 starts.
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Luke Ginnell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Louise Keane, Fergal Quinn, Barry Greene

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #34460 by Luke GJ Potter
Replied by Luke GJ Potter on topic Club League 2021 Update
Upcoming Events that use the Bologna TT course are here:
zwifthacks.com/app/events/?key=6034d54f3a8c0

Bologna is Event Only, so it can only be ridden during an event.

Upcoming Rd. 1: Tempus Fugit Events are here:
zwifthacks.com/app/events/?key=6034d5a1d8483
The Event may use the Zwift TT Module with starts every five seconds and a slightly different UI with the Watts in the middle of the screen.
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Luke GJ Potter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darran Kearney

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds