Zwift lunchtime spin, Wednesday 15th April 1.05pm

More
3 years 11 months ago #32127 by BarryR
Our next Zwift outing is a lunchtime ride on Wednesday 15th April at 1.05pm. We'll be doing the Watopia " Watopia Figure 8 Reverse " this time, which I estimate will take us just less than 60 minutes. You can drop out during the ride if you're short of time but you can't join the ride after it has started.

All welcome, no matter what level of rider, and from Zwift first timers to hardened old hands. Zwift's "no-drop" function means the group will stay together no matter how hard you ride on the front or how easy you take it on the back.

We're using the same registration process again. You must fill in this form:

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Registration will close 30 minutes before the scheduled start, or when 50 riders have registered.

Ride banter

We'll be using Discord to provide voice chat during the ride. It adds hugely to your ride experience, so if you haven't tried it yet give it a go this time. The instructions are still the same, so here they are again.

If you've already joined the Orwell Discord channel then all you have to do is log in to Discord again before the ride.

If you haven't yet joined the Orwell Discord channel, then install the Discord app on your computer or phone, create an account for yourself, and then click on this link:

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

If there's a choice, select "open with Discord". If required, select "Join".
You are now in the Orwell Wheelers talk group, on the text-only channel.

To get to the voice channel, click on the menu icon (3-lines) if necessary, then under "Voice channels" click on "Group ride banter". If requested, grant Discord the permissions it needs to use your microphone and speakers.

Reconnect to the Discord channel before our ride starts by logging back in to Discord and selecting "Group ride banter" as above. There's no need to keep the Discord app displayed, it will work perfectly well in the background or with the screen off.

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, Louise Keane, Dave Murnane, Andrew Ryan, Carthach McCarthy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #32145 by BarryR
This is an excellent warmup / taper ride for the first online club race on RGT on Thursday! Less than an hour, and no-drop so you can take it as easy as you want while still staying with the group.

Register here:

More
3 years 11 months ago #32147 by Brian Mc
That was far more enjoyable than I thought it'd be. I've been struggling to motivate myself to get on the trainer, so it was a great way to spend a lunchtime. Thanks for setting it up Barry, and to everyone for the company!

I'm still not sure how Dave Murnane beat me up a KOM by 25 seconds, but I'll be challenging him in real life when I can! :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Louise Keane

More
3 years 11 months ago #32149 by BarryR
Another good spin. 13 or so in the group, and almost all also in the talk channel on Discord which adds hugely to the enjoyment.

If you haven't tried it yet give it a go next time. Surprise yourself.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Emma Convey, Louise Keane

More
3 years 11 months ago #32153 by Dave Murnane
Replied by Dave Murnane on topic Zwift lunchtime spin, Wednesday 15th April 1.05pm

I'm still not sure how Dave Murnane beat me up a KOM by 25 seconds, but I'll be challenging him in real life when I can! :D

Apologies Brian, and everyone else. That was "no drop" mechanical doping. I switched over to the Discord app to "push to talk" and just pedaled along steadily with the banter. When I went back to Zwift I was in the bunch towards the end of a KOM and thought I had better go all out. Obviously the "no drop" function put me back in after you had been climbing for some time. I appreciate that a penalty may be in order. I can do a marshaling slot on a future Zwift spin.

I look forward to whatever challenge you have in mind, as long as it does not involve growing a beard.

Thanks again Barry for organising these meetups.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc, Louise Keane

More
3 years 11 months ago #32154 by Tom Weymes
Replied by Tom Weymes on topic Zwift lunchtime spin, Wednesday 15th April 1.05pm
Not content with humiliating Brian on Zwift, Dave, you disparage his facial hair by implication. This is a low blow. Shame on you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Murnane

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds