Sunday Mountains Group

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #32599 by Peadar Corbally
Sunday Moutains Group was created by Peadar Corbally
The Sunday Mountains group is starting up again with loosening of restrictions.

Before proceeding any further ENSURE that you have READ the following posts

www.orwellwheelers.org/forum/announcemen...ing-to-club-activity

www.orwellwheelers.org/forum/announcemen...aders-covid-19-guide
www.orwellwheelers.org/forum/announcemen...aders-covid-19-guide

And READ the EMAIL send out by Fergal on the 3rd of July 2020.If you have not received this email please contact Fergal directly via the contacts page or another member of the Covid 19 sub committee. See the linked posts above for more information. Fergals email contains a link to an EVENTBRITE FORM that MUST BE COMPLETED before turning up for a Sundays Moutains Spin.

The assumption is that anyone who turns up to a Sunday Mountains spin has read and understood the information in the email sent out and the posts above and completed the relevant Eventbrite form.

Before turning up to any Sunday Mountains spin please REVIEW the ATTACHED QUESTIONAIRRE. If you answer YES to any of the questions please do not turn up. Sunday Mountains will run until the start of the Club Winter spins so there will plenty of other weeks to go out with the group for a spin.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Peadar Corbally.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #32600 by Peadar Corbally
Replied by Peadar Corbally on topic Sunday Moutains Group
PLEASE READ THE FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD

The first Sunday Moutains Spin will start tomorrow 5th of July.

Leaving the Yellow House at 8am. Please ensure when gathering near the Yellow House social distancing is maintained.

The route will be up Ballinascourny across by the bottom of Butter Mountain, around the lakes,up the Wicklow Gap into Laragh and Coffee. Back to Dublin via Sally Gap/Oldbridge Enniskerries depending on the weather.

The route is about 96k with 1,800 metres of climbing. Orange pace on the flatter sections, on the climbs people are free to go at their own pace.

www.strava.com/routes/24307986

Numbers limited to 15 as thats all that can be registered on the Cycling Ireland tracing app. The max group size will be 12 people.

If more than 15 turn up someone else will have to volunteer to lead and register on the Cycling Ireland tracing app and will be responsbile for ensuring that club Covid 19 policies are followed for their group.

Please review the attached Covid 19 Questionairre before turing up.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ronan Gill, John Anslow

More
3 years 10 months ago #32608 by Aoife Parker-Hedderman
Replied by Aoife Parker-Hedderman on topic Sunday Moutains Group
Hi Peadar

Would like to try one of these Mountain spins. I was considering a solo hilly spin this weekend so worst case scenario if I can’t keep pace I’ll slip off. That ok? I’ve completed all the relevant Covid-19 forms/questionnaires.

Aoife Parker-Hedderman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peadar Corbally

More
3 years 10 months ago #32610 by Peadar Corbally
Hi Aoife thats no problem

You should be fine.

Generally the pace on Sundays Mountains for the last few years has been to go steady outside the major climbs so that the group(s) stays together and people can have a chat and generally be sociable.

On the climbs people are free to go at their own pace so the group normally splits on climbs and then regroups at the top of the climb. There is also normally a coffee stop in Laragh.

Even on Sunday we had a mixture of red and orange riders with the stronger riders doing longer turns on the front and waiting at the top of climbs or in the case of going up the Wicklow gap down at the bottom in Laragh at the coffee stop.

Anyone who normally goes orange should be able to keep up. Last year the average route distance was around 90km to and from the yellow house with around 1,700 meters of climbing.

I normally put the route up mid week when I have a better idea of the weather forecast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aoife Parker-Hedderman, Zoheb Khan

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #32620 by Peadar Corbally
PLEASE READ FIRST POST if it is your first time coming out with the Sunday Mountains Group this year.

Leaving the Yellow House at 8am

The planned route is a figure of 8. Head up the full Ballinascorney climb by the military camp, over to the Sally Gap, down towards Roundwood and over to Laragh via Lough Dan. Coffee stop in Laragh and head back to Dublin via Glenmacnass. See link to the route below.

The route is about 87km with 1,600 meters of climbing.

If there are enough people more than one group will head out.

www.strava.com/routes/20885691
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ronan Gill, John Anslow, Carthach McCarthy, Ronan Byrne, Aoife Parker-Hedderman

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #32640 by Peadar Corbally
PLEASE READ FIRST POST if it is your first time coming out with the Sunday Mountains Group this year.

Leaving the Yellow House at 8am on Sunday

The route is out to the Featherbeds via the Bohernabrenna and Upper Cunard out to the Sally Gap and over to Laragh for coffee. (Given how the group has broken up over the years on the section between the Sally Gap and Glenmacnass I plan on sitting at the back for anyone not wanting to race to Laragh). Back by Lough Dan and heading up the Liam Horner over the featherbeds. See a link to the route below.

92km 1,600 meters of climbing

www.strava.com/routes/2718883709214229164

The following user(s) said Thank You: Paraic Morrissey, Ronan Gill, Darragh Connolly, Michael Monahan

More
3 years 10 months ago #32675 by Gavin Hinfey
Replied by Gavin Hinfey on topic Re:Sunday Moutains Group
Im going to join this in the morning if that's OK? If I'm not fit for it I can head home with my tail between my legs!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

More
3 years 9 months ago #32681 by Peadar Corbally
Replied by Peadar Corbally on topic Re:Sunday Moutains Group
Hi Gavin

Sorry I didn't get a chance to reply last night. Hope you enjoyed the spin today.

More
3 years 9 months ago #32682 by Gavin Hinfey
Replied by Gavin Hinfey on topic Re:Re:Sunday Moutains Group
Ye great spin today, tough for me toward the end but hopefully that will improve with a few more under my belt.

Thanks a million!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

More
3 years 9 months ago #32717 by Peadar Corbally

The route will be up Ballinascorney across by the bottom of Butter Mountain, up around the back of Sorrel hill, down into Lacken, around the lakes, up the Wicklow Gap into Laragh and Coffee. Back to Dublin via Sally Gap

About 100km and 1,800 meters of climbing

www.strava.com/routes/2719938520320207968

The following user(s) said Thank You: John Kehoe, Darragh Connolly, Barry Greene, Carthach McCarthy

More
3 years 9 months ago #32724 by Gavin Hinfey
Replied by Gavin Hinfey on topic Sunday Moutains Group
Hi Peadar,

I was dropped on the way home last week. I might give this week another go if thats alright? If I'm dropped don't feel the need to wait, its the only way I'll get stronger!

More
3 years 9 months ago #32725 by Brian Burke
Replied by Brian Burke on topic Sunday Moutains Group
Hi Peadar,

I would like to join the Sunday Mountains group this week, I'm a strong enough rider but I haven't been into the hills in months so is it ok if I come along and if I can't keep up I head off on my own? I know the area well so it's no problem,

Brian

More
3 years 9 months ago #32726 by Peadar Corbally

Hi Peadar,

I was dropped on the way home last week. I might give this week another go if thats alright? If I'm dropped don't feel the need to wait, its the only way I'll get stronger!

Hi Gavin no problem. You did fine last Sunday. Its normal at the end of spin that things would break up a bit on the last climb heading over featherbeds.

Hi Peadar,

I would like to join the Sunday Mountains group this week, I'm a strong enough rider but I haven't been into the hills in months so is it ok if I come along and if I can't keep up I head off on my own? I know the area well so it's no problem,

Brian

Hi Brian thats no problem.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #32808 by Peadar Corbally

I'll be away this weekend so won't be around.

The proposed route is up Cruagh, over the featherbeds, down the Liam Horner, up the Wall and out by Lough Dan to Laragh, coffee and over the Sally Gap back.

The route is about 85km and 1,600 meters of climbing.

www.strava.com/routes/17930763

Based on the feedback over the last few weeks and the speed increase last week. I propose have 2 Sunday Mountains group a faster one with red/orange pace(Group 1) and a slower one with a orange/yellow pace(Group 2). The slower group leaving after the faster group but following the same route.

To make sure the numbers stay in line with Club Covid policies I am trialing a booking system. We have been at 12 over the last 3 weeks which is the maximum that the committee allows.

You can sign up on the day/when you turn up providing there the relevant group has less than 12 people. See a link below.

www.eventbrite.ie/e/orwell-sunday-mounta...nt=shortLinkNewEmail

This is only a trial so let me know any feedback.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Peadar Corbally.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Kehoe, Darragh Connolly, Tom Crotty

More
3 years 9 months ago #32809 by Brian Burke
Hi Peadar, there doesn't appear to be an option to register on that link? Or else I'm missing something

More
3 years 9 months ago #32810 by Peadar Corbally

Hi Peadar, there doesn't appear to be an option to register on that link? Or else I'm missing something

Hi Brian

Thanks for that. Should work now. Let me know if it doesn't.

As I said this is a trial so let me know of any thoughts.

More
3 years 9 months ago #32811 by Brian Burke
That's great, I'd be keen to join but I'd say fast orange or red would be too fast for me ..I'll register and hopefully there'll be a yellow/orange group heading out

More
3 years 9 months ago #32827 by Ciarán Carroll
Replied by Ciarán Carroll on topic Sunday Moutains Group
Hi Peader. Is it an 8am start?

More
3 years 9 months ago #32830 by Peadar Corbally
Hi Ciaran

Ye the group has been leaving at 8am this year

More
3 years 9 months ago #32888 by Peadar Corbally

The plan is to head over the Sally to Laragh via Cruagh for coffee. Head back via Wicklow Gap, Sorrell Hill and Balinascourney.

The route is about 100km and 1,900 meters of climbing.

www.strava.com/routes/2726492757776367328

If there are enough people and/depending on the mix of abilities more than one group will head out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Barry Greene

Time to create page: 0.442 seconds